“Nice enough but inconsistent”

Holiday Inn Aladdin
Ranked #45 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Lexington, Kentucky
“Nice enough but inconsistent”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Aladdin is definitely an interesting little place. If you have a bit of an artistic bend and lean towards an art deco flair then the Aladdin is for you. The lobby is relatively small with odd chaise lounge seating and small short tables. There's no place to sit comfortably in an actual chair and wait for a companion to arrive.

The rooms that I have seen are somewhat small and built into every nook and cranny of the old building. This is not necessarily a bad thing but is unique in today's "all the same" cookie cutter hotel rooms.

I wouldn't recommend the Aladdin for a business stay but it's perfectly fine for a nice personal stay in downtown KC with a fair price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your review! Our hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places and, yes, offers a unique experience for all of our guest. I hope that the next time you are in Kansas City you stay with us, and are able to experience the Martini Loft on the second level that overlooks the lobby.

Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Aladdin. The staff was very friendly. We were offered champagne at check in, which was a really nice touch. They have a nice valet service and it's reasonably priced at $16 per night. When we called down to get our car from the valet before dinner, the front desk person forgot to pass the message on. To make up for it he offered us another glass of champagne and within 5 minutes we had our car. He knew how to make us happy! The room was nice & clean. We really enjoyed the decor - it was different and fun. The only reason this hotel is not getting 5 out of 5 is because we requested a late check out, which they granted us, but seemingly didn't inform their cleaning staff as they knocked on our door two different times before we were supposed to be out. Other then that we had a great time. I think this hotel is very reasonably priced for the location - literally right across the street from the convention center and 3 blocks away from Power & Light. Even in the cold winter weather, it wasn't a bad walk to get down there and we felt safe walking back. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying in downtown KC!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay! We love making our guests happy, and what better way than champagne! I apologize you were disturbed after your late checkout request; we will make sure to cover that with our team.

Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were booked here as it was very close to the convention center & we were in the area for a trade show. Our sales meeting was also held at the hotel, so we were set to have lunch and dinner for two days straight, in the hotel itself. The food we were served was basically inedible. My husband, who eats anything, couldn't / wouldn't eat it. For lunch the first day & dinner the second, there were items that were truly unidentifiable, covered in some kind of white-brown sauce. Don't try that, stick with the salad, or pasta, which was also not good, but looked somewhat safe. The best meal we had was lunch the second day, consisting of cold cuts & cheese. It was honestly refreshing to see.
The bartender was a tall gentleman (using that term loosely) with a really bad attitude. Looked like he had something other than milk, in his Cheerios for breakfast, if you know what I mean. Thought maybe he was just having a bad day, but upon our return the second night, he had the same miserable attitude.
This is considered a boutique hotel, and the ambiance in the lobby reflects that, BUT the rooms are VERY small, we had standing water in our shower & sink & mold in the bathroom. Not all of our commorades had the same bathroom troubles, but the rooms are consistently "boutique-y" small, like NYC. Our view was a brick wall.
Fortunately, we were able to check out early & switch hotels to Crowne Plaza, huge room, sunset view & CHEAPER!
Not to be totally negative, there was a young man that took care of our meeting room, set up the meals and catered to our EVERY need that was fantastic. I wish I would have gotten his name, so I may have included it in this review.
Bottom line - cute hotel, if you dont mind smal rooms/bathrooms, horrendous food (conference food & restaurant), so eat somewhere else. (So much good food in KC!) Skip the bar too, if the tall miserable guy is there...
Sorry for the bad review, but thought someone might like to know-

Room Tip: Go to the Crowne Plaza to choose a good room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations. During your stay our city experienced about 15 inches of snow in a two-day period and pretty much shut the city down. Our employees were unable to make it in to work for a few days, and we worked very hard to make the hotel run smoothly due to the unusual circumstances.

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Friendly quirky place that offered me champagne the moment I stepped up to check in. It was a hot horrible summer day and that champagne was perfectly timed. The staff was super friendly and helpful and the location was perfect for the conference I was attending. I love boutique hotels and the Aladdin is right up there with the funnest of them. The room was clean and wonderful and I had know problems with the internet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! I will pass along all of your great compliments to our amazing staff. We take great pride in making each stay as memorable as the one you experienced. We hope to see you again, and soon!

Lebanon, Tennessee
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I recently stayed for three nights while attending a convention. The hotel exudes historic charm. The room was clean and decorated nicely. My room was quite small(on a corner). Since I was the only occupant, it suited my needs perfectly. If there had been two of us, it would have been very cramped. If the cost of the room had been lower, I would have been completely satisfied with my stay. I assumed that I was paying for the great location, however, my friends who stayed at the Crowne Plaza down the block, were paying $50 less per night. One major drawback: the Aladdin hotel had a no-refund policy regarding reservations, so if I had to cancel my trip, I would have been out the cost of the entire 3 night stay. Considering the unpredictable weather in February, the no-refund policy made the week before my stay nerve-wracking. Regarding the staff: every staff member that I came in contact with was extremely helpful and nice. I didn't know that there was a tunnel connecting the hotel to the Convention Center until I was bracing myself to go out in the cold and a very considerate bell-hop informed me. The tunnel was extremely convenient.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! We do have an amazing hotel and staff! The location of our hotel is perfect for anyone attending a conference at the KC Convention Center, or doing business in the Downtown area. The rate you booked was our Pre Paid non-refundable rate, which offers a very deep discount off our regular rate. All hotels offer this as an option. Thank you so much for staying with us!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Aladdin for two nights in January while visiting on business. I can say that I stayed for two reasons: location and the rate. The hotel is ideally located in downtown KC, near the convention center and downtown office buildings. It is a short walk to the Power & Light district - with lots of dining and entertainment options.

To be honest, this hotel is not what I think of when I think of a boutique hotel. That's not a criticism, just observation. I didn't find the staff particularly friendly...but didn't have a negative situation either. My room was an average size corner room overlooking the convention center. It is well appointed - although with some very large furniture which makes the room appear smaller. However, I appreciated the large desk area to work at night. The room was clean and bed comfortable and I did not experience the noise issues mentioned by other reviewers.

I did stop in to the small lounge on the 2nd floor. The wine list is extremely limited as they were out of almost everything. The prices are reasonable. The hotel seemed to be hosting some kind of convention of 20-somethings, who quickly took over the lounge and restaurant, bringing cases of cheap beer and pizza with them...was time to head back to my room...

Overall, I would stay here again on future business trips to KC. For the price and location it is a fair deal.

Room Tip: Although, I stay in alot of city hotels and may be used to small rooms, I had a corner room here and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your response! I apologize your room did not meet your expectations of a boutique hotel. Our hotel is on the National Register of historic places, and offers a unique experience to all of our guests. We are usually very busy in our Martini Loft and again apologize it did not meet your expectations. I hope you will stay with us again!

Missoula, Montana
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am sitting in the Alladin's Zebra Room restaurant looking at a rubbery, overlooked piece of salmon on an average Caesar salad listening to terrible music. Seems understaffed and took forever just to get a glass of water. No evidence or offer of a wine list. Just awful!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! I apologize our food and beverage selections did not meet your expectations. We take great pride in all the products and services we give to our guests. We certainly hope that you will give us another chance.