“Hotel heaven!”

Holiday Inn Aladdin
Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I don't think I could rave to anyone anymore about this hotel. It really is a treasure. It's gorgeous, has old charm from 1925, and is beautifully modern at the same time. Check in was splendid. The young woman that checked me in was kind and offered me a glass of champagne. It's a very nice touch indeed.

The room was lovely. Modern furnishings and was especially clean. The elephant towel animal was also a nice touch. The bathroom was clean, had a lovely modern sink, and a nice shower. This hotel goes to the effort of making your stay special. I will definitely be back. There was no bad part about staying here. It's a treasure to Kansas City.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! Your kind words mean the world to me and the entire staff here! We strive to provide an unforgettable experience to every guest our hotel has the pleasure of accommodating. We hope you will be back very soon!!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My stay at this hotel was fine. Not great. I understand that it was downtown and there was lots going on, but the hotel has been there for years and should be used to this. Not an excuse. Front desk staff was slow. Wouldn't accept my rewards card so I wasn't able to accrue points. Our room was TINY. Parking cost an extra $14 across the street and I barely passed the 6'8' clearance in the garage. However, they tried to charge me an additional $16 for valet parking, which we didn't use. Furthermore, our keycards wouldn't work and even the master card wouldn't let us into our room for a half hour. On a plus side, the hotel was tastefully decorated and the rooms were quiet.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review! We take a lot of pride in providing a superior product for our guests, and I sincerely apologize that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Every hotel in the Downtown and Crown Center market charges for parking, and our hotel is the best value with Valet at $16. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so we can make sure that your stay is magical.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We originally reserved a room back in August for our wedding night in October. When we arrived after our wedding at 11pm, we didn't have our room ready for us. Instead of compensating or even apologizing, they placed us in a smaller room until they could "switch some people around." Finally, at 11:45 on our wedding night, we were taken to our room. A bellboy brought champagne to our room but didn't offer to help is with our bags so we could move rooms. We never received an apology during our stay. There was still old coffee in the coffee pot, both rooms were small and the staff was unfriendly at best. I would never stay here again and I would seriously reconsider before booking a room here. They put a huge damper on my wedding night.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for your review. I know you have been in contact with our management staff regarding your stay. I have also been double checking on all of the items you have listed in your review. I apologize the guest room was not ready at 2pm when your fiancé originally tried to check in to the hotel. We were full the night before, and did not have any rooms of the bed type you reserved available for early check-in as a result. However, we were able to provide a room for your fiancé to change in and leave his bags in, as this was the only option we had at that time. I sincerely apologize your wedding night was not what you thought it would be, and although it may not be enough, I know we have refunded your entire stay.

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We are deeply grateful the hotel gives hospital rates. We have to come to KC frequently for our sick child. My only complaint is the beds are as hard a a rock. It's like sleeping at Fred Flinstones house. :-)) Otherwise we love the hotel. Especially love front desk guy Jai!! :-))

• Stayed: October 2012
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! We are the ONLY hotel in the Downtown/Crown Center area that offers the special family rate for Children's Mercy families. Often times there is not room at the Ronald McDonnald house, and the Aladdin hotel is happy to step in and offer a price break to Children's Mercy families. Thank you so much for the kind words.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This boutique hotel is conveniently located in downtown Kansas City and a short walk from the Power & Light District. The lobby is pretty & guests receive champagne upon check-in. However, I waited in line for 10 minutes before I was able to check-in, upon which I was told our room was not ready (even though it was two hours after check-in time). The person at the front desk said the only thing she could do for us was to get a manager. The manager then got us a single occupancy room for us to put our bags in & get ready for our evening until our double occupancy room was ready. Considering we spent nearly $200 for this room, it was frustrating to have this hassle--all in all our check-in took over 20 minutes, not to mention the time wasted re-packing to change rooms. We were also not given the complimentary champagne and I was made to feel like I was being a "problem customer" because I wanted a hotel room that I had already paid them for.

The rooms were updated & decorated nicely, but did seem a little musty. The bathroom was not completely updated-old shower & toilet, & was extremely small.

If you stay on one of the higher levels, be warned that if you need to take the elevator down to the lobby around check-out time it will likely take 20-30 minutes due to the slowness & smallness of the elevators.

I usually like boutique or historic hotels, but this one missed the mark given the price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your review! I apologize that your room was not available at the time you came to check in. This is not an ordinary occurance for us, and I know we tried to do the very best we could despite the circumstances. We would love the opportunity to wow you on your next visit. Please contact me directly if I can assist you with arrangements to stay here again.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Classic old hotel with grand lobby/entry and social area. Small single rooms but adequate sized rooms with more than 1 bed. Although certainly a personal preference issue, beds were much too hard to get a restful night's sleep. Extra charge for car whether it's valet parked or by yourself. Easily walkable to anywhere in the PL District and Sprint Center. Noisey hallways that the hotel staff policed only when presented with the alternative of us calling the local PD. OK for the price we paid but would stay somewhere else in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review! Our hotel was built in 1925 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Each room on each floor is configured differently to give our guests more of an experience. All of the hotels in downtown Kansas City and Crown Center charge for parking. We do not own the parking garage we use for our Valet parking, and are unable to offer it as an amenity; however, we are the most economical of all of the downtown hotels.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I travel a lot for work. This hotel is well above average. Rooms are nice, cool decor, have a desk and comfy chair. Tub in the bathroom also has a double jet shower which is nice. People are very nice and hotel has charm to it. Valet is not my favorite thing in the world but considering the options in downtown it is by far the best. We had breakfast once. It was buffet style. At 13 dollars it is not cheap but the quality of the buffet was very good. I would reccommend this hotel. I read some of the other less favorable reviews and are not reflective of this hotel

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! We sincerely appreciate your kind words, and informative assessment of our hotel. You are right - parking is just one of those things that you have to pay for at any Downtown Hotel, and just to let you know we have the best value for our breakfast buffet, compared to all of the other hotels in the Downtown Kansas City Market.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!