“Historic hotel with plenty of modern amenities”

Holiday Inn Aladdin
Ranked #44 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed January 10, 2012

This is an historic hotel that has been updated. I found the room to be very comfortable and the elevators were VERY fast! My only gripe was the room was freezing (and took FOREVER to get warm). The staff was very friendly and helpful in finding me places to eat, and they provide free champagne at check in. The restaurant was closed when I arrived so I didn't get to try it. A parking garage is located across from the hotel which is handy, and they also provide valet parking for $15.00 (very handy). Every staff member I encountered from the valet to the front desk clerk was helpful and friendly. The breakfast was not free and was only average quality (powdered eggs etc). Overall, I would happily stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
mgangle, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

As always thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, every review helps us to better understand how we can satisfy the needs and desires of our guests. It's wonderful to know that our team was able to give you the service you required to have a wonderful experience at the Aladdin. From our food and beverage to our front office team members, every member of the Aladdin Family strives to make your stay an enjoyable one. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to Kansas City.

Director of Guest Services

Reviewed December 30, 2011

GREAT location. Got this place on Hotwire, so our bang for our buck was awesome. I don't think I would pay full price, though. Our room with 2 beds was decent, a bit on the small side. It's a nice, elegant, charming old school hotel. I would recommend it. There were some bad things however: our tv remote was missing upon arrival, there was NO TOILET PAPER in the restroom (REALLY!!??), and it was dirty under the beds (feathers, soda lid, gum wrappers...) :-/ I would like to think it was just a housekeeper having a bad day. But I would definitely consider staying again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room above the 6th floor for a good view, because there are buildings next to it and if...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2012

Dear Fetarin,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced with your room. I will follow up with the executive housekeeper to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you in the future.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed December 22, 2011

The Aladdin is a cute, quaint historic hotel in downtown KC. It sits in the shadows of all the large, commercial hotels downtown but its personality wins out. I stayed here on a family trip. I checked in and was offered a free glass of champagne. My room was nice, on the smaller size with a window that faced a brick building, but needless to say, I was only in my room early morning and late at night so the "view" was never an issue. I found the room suitable, nicely decorated, kinda trendy - I had just the standard room at a great rate! Bathroom was small, but well decorated and, like I said, it was just me. Staff was friendly and outgoing. The lobby could use a few "upgrades" but, again, I didn't spend any time there. I didn't get to utilize the bar or restaurant so I couldn't fairly comment there. Parking? Yes, there is a 15 buck a day valet charge, but there is a parking garage right across the street I am positive one could utilize ( I was just lazy). The ONLY complaint I have is that when, I initially, pulled up to valet, no valet come out to the car to greet me, so I was a little unsure as to what was going on. It was only until I had my luggage out and was on my way into the door, that I was greeted by the valet. He was very friendly and welcoming. So, maybe, he was unsure if I was just picking someone up or? Other than that I found the hotel very clean, and I would assure others to give it a try. If you like hotels with a little character. In regards to noise, there really wasn't allot of noise. Sure, you can hear the shower in the other room, shared wall, but I can in most all hotels anyhow... GOOD STAY. Cute hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Thank You for taking the time to review our hotel. As always it's wonderful to hear about the good experiences of our valued guests. I realize that as a downtown hotel the view on certain floors leaves something to be desired. However, we do try to make sure that while our guests are with us the lack of a view outside your window is compensated by the incredible decor and great team we have inside. I have forwarded your concerns about valet on to the appropriate people and can assure you that upon your arrival on your next visit we will be waiting to greet you with a warm smile and a hearty hello.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights over Thanksgiving. Everything was adequate, however the maid service is marginal, as is the front desk staff. Probably wouldn't stay here again, just because of the hassle of valet parking, and the additional $60 it cost us, which we were unaware of when we booked here.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This wa a nice stay. Very nicely decorated. Easy parking for $12 a day right across the street. No walking outside in the rain. There was a super loud party going on but once we called the front desk it was instantly quiet. Great shower!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are always happy to hear about the experiences of the people that have allowed us into their lives for a short time. We would like to apologize for the brief disturbance in your stay and are happy that our team was able to respond to your need for quiet in an efficient and timely manner. We look forward to seeing you again on your next stay in our wonderful city.

Director of Guests Services

Reviewed December 5, 2011

We live in KC and booked here for a night away from everything. Big mistake. Upon check in, front desk staff person was very distracted and not welcoming. Didn't tell us anything about the hotel features except to tell us 3 times that it is a non smoking hotel and we would be fined if we smoked....um, my husband and I are NOT smokers, but okay, we get the picture. We headed up to our room and the keys didn't work. Back down to the front desk, no apologies, issued new keys. Nope-didn't work again. Walked down again and was escorted back up to the room because they either didn't believe me that the keys don't work or they think we are idiots. Nope-didn't work. She asked us to wait in the hall while they called maintenance and I said no we can't wait cause we have pre-purchased movie tickets, we have messed with this for 30 minutes already, and we needed to go. We went back downstairs to be given a new room. Threw our bags down and ran to the theater. Upon returning that night, the a/c was not working correctly and the temperature was at 75 degrees or warmer all night. Not pleasant! When we went to check out, I told the lady at the front desk that the a/c wasn't working and she claimed she knew cause security said they were told during the night about it. When I informed her that it was not us that talked to security and that obviously other people were having an issue, she just said no and then proceeded to dismiss/ignore any comment I made about the check in issues and a/c problem. A simple I am sorry would have gone a long way. What a shame that a beautiful, historic place has to be marred by poor customer service and lack of maintenance.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Shara S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Let me first start by apologizing that your staycation was marred by key issues. As a team we try very hard to make the guests stay as enjoyable and easy as possible, hence the personal escort back to your room in order to expedite your room entry. We in no way were trying to imply that you were ill equipped to open the door, we simply wanted to make sure we did everything in our power to fix the issue.

As you stated the check in experience is an important one, and not one where we want the guests to feel ignored or taken for granted. However, there are times during heavy traffic that we as a staff may not do all we can to communicate to the guests directly in front of us. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take these reviews very seriously and use each of them as a training opportunity for our entire team.

I would like to get the chance to make a better impression on you and your loved ones, please feel free to contact me directly. Shara Smith-Williams 816-421-8888 have a wonderful day.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

I would like to start with the fact that the front desk crew should be some what friendly and not unprofessional. Mr. J. -- was the rudest person I have dealt with in a front desk type setting. We first waited through a lot of information that ended up being a run around for over 45 minutes in the lobby. Next, he double booked our room. What a horrible night away in was for us!

Room Tip: Corner rooms
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Shara S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

I first want to start by saying that I apologize for the negative experience you had during your check in. All of our front office associates pride themselves on being courteous and professional throughout all interactions with the guest. Regardless of what the issues at check in may be, whether it be a billing issue or a room type issue, we are always willing to try our best to accommodate our valued customers. I would be happy to discuss this issue further with you, please feel free to contact me my name is Shara Smith-Williams and my number is 816-421-8888. Have a wonderful day.