“birthday dinner”

Cafe Trio Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Trio Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 1,489 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: E. 45th Street
Transit: On the actual Main Street route, including the Max. Only a few feet from two stops.
Description: Comfortable, calming and chic, Café Trio draws a diverse clientele of urban dwellers, on-the-town suburbanites and tourists who strike up lively conversations over classically inspired craft cocktails and beautifully imagined seasonal, from-scratch dishes. Perched on the incline at 45th and Main Street, the restaurant’s all-seasons patio view of the J.C. Nichols Fountain and Country Club Plaza add to the vibe. Executive Chef Adam Yoder and his culinary team hand-cut the steaks and chops and use a cornucopia of local and regional produce and artisan foods for their well-curated menu. Don’t-miss items include Café Trio’s handcrafted cracker-crust pizzas, roasted chicken, confit garlic mashed potatoes and the warm chocolate truffle cake. Imbibe your pleasures at the weekly happy hour with signature martinis such as the Marilyn Monroe or Paris Hilton — paired with the Price Edward Island mussels or crispy lump crab cakes, you just might have fantasies of taking up residence in one of Café Trio’s comfy booths. And if you’re planning a party, Trio’s two private event spaces are just the ticket for a sexy soiree.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

There were 6 of us for dinner, and the people at Trio could not have been nicer. We sat out on the paito which was great for people watching, and had dinner. Everyone was happy with their meals and we all tasted everything so everyone got to experiment.

it was a wonderful evening,

Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I enjoy the eclectic food served at this contemporary and beautiful restaurant. They have a piano player most of the time. The food has greatly improved over the last year with a new chef and new choices of cuisine. The owner Chris and Ty are very accommodating whenever we need anything or bring someone in town to eat there. The deserts are great however, I do miss the chocolate cake at times. We recommend Cafe Trio for happy hour, dinner or desert and don't hesitate to bring business partners from out of town to enjoy a great evening and food. Local is great especially at Cafe Trio where service, quality and atmosphere are definitely a 10!

Christopher Y, Owner at Cafe Trio Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Hello Cindy
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I'm so happy to learn you enjoyed your visit and you recommend us to your friends.

Thanks again and have a great week!

Chris

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We went here to use my birthday coupon and were told it was not valid on Mother's Day even though the coupon itself did not specify that it did not work on holidays. I asked to speak to a manager and after waiting for 15 minutes he finally came over.

From that point on it got weird. He was rude to me and actually grabbed my coupon from me and tore it up in front of me and told me I could leave. I was stunned to say the least and started to get loud. He called me an $$$hole and started to get his phone out to call the police. I told my wife we were leaving.

I tried to ask if there was someone else I could talk to about his actions but he was not cooperative.

I should also mention that he identified himself as an owner. We personally will never go there again. There is no place for people like that in a service environment.

PS. If you do chose to go and risk it, ask for Alex as a server. He never got to serve us dinner but the interactions we had with him while we were there were very good.

Christopher Y, Owner at Cafe Trio Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

I’ll be the very first to admit the entire incident was unfortunate. No doubt I should have acquiesced and allowed you to use the $20 Birthday Offer I had emailed you. However, by the time I arrived at your table you had already dismissed with your server and you weren’t about to have any of what I was about to say. I politely asked if you would consider using the offer another time since due to it being Mother’s Day since we ask that no promotions or offers be presented. I even said you not to worry about the timeframe since we really don’t hold expiration dates. However you went from being agitated to being angry and argumentative. With your voice raised you demanded I show you where the birthday offer that I sent you where it said it couldn’t be used on Mother’s Day. I agreed that it didn’t specifically state Mother’s Day and apologized that this issue was causing us both so much grief. Your demeanor deteriorated at which point I removed the coupon and suggested you find another place to have dinner. I did not at any time raise my voice or call you any name whatsoever. However, your actions became the centerpiece of the entire dining room, at which point I asked you again that if you didn’t lower your voice I would have to call the police. I actually was afraid you were going to attack me and if it wasn’t for your guest restraining you I may not have been so lucky. You stormed out of the restaurant yelling and making a spectacle. After you left two of the tables nearest to the incident actually went out of their way to apologize to me for your behavior.

I clearly should have let you use the promotion, but after your actions at the table I let my pride interfere with what should have been the right choice. If I could be so bold to offer a piece of advice – kindness and respect go a long way when you’re trying to get something for free.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have eaten here and enjoyed happy hour many times. Yesterday I had lunch and was quite disappointed. For one, they have eliminated hummus from the menu. This was one of the best things they had and something I always looked forward to. I had the Rueben sandwich and thought it was fair at best. The bread was over-grilled and, therefore, hard to bite. The sandwich just didn't have the flavor a Rueben should. My companion had the quiche and was VERY satisfied with it. The good part of our experience was the service. Jake was extremely nice and patient. I'm hoping it was just an off day and that the place isn't on the downward slide.

Christopher Y, Owner at Cafe Trio Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

I'm sorry to learn you didn't enjoy your recent experience at Cafe Trio. Providing our guests with delicious and exceptional food is one of our highest priorities, but clearly we didn't hit the ball out of the park during your visit. If I could ask that if ever in the future should you come across anything that does not meet or hopefully exceed your expectations please do not hesitate to send it back or ask to see a manager or owner. My entire staff will do anything to make things right – its what we are here do. I hope you'll return and give us another try - (watch for our updated menu in May).

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Loved the food, but the prices were a bit high, especially for the wine. We ate upstairs, and it was very noisy.