“Great special occasion spot”

Cafe Trio Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Trio Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 1,473 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: E. 45th Street
Transit: On the actual Main Street route, including the Max. Only a few feet from two stops.
Description: Comfortable, calming and chic, Café Trio draws a diverse clientele of urban dwellers, on-the-town suburbanites and tourists who strike up lively conversations over classically inspired craft cocktails and beautifully imagined seasonal, from-scratch dishes. Perched on the incline at 45th and Main Street, the restaurant’s all-seasons patio view of the J.C. Nichols Fountain and Country Club Plaza add to the vibe. Executive Chef Adam Yoder and his culinary team hand-cut the steaks and chops and use a cornucopia of local and regional produce and artisan foods for their well-curated menu. Don’t-miss items include Café Trio’s handcrafted cracker-crust pizzas, roasted chicken, confit garlic mashed potatoes and the warm chocolate truffle cake. Imbibe your pleasures at the weekly happy hour with signature martinis such as the Marilyn Monroe or Paris Hilton — paired with the Price Edward Island mussels or crispy lump crab cakes, you just might have fantasies of taking up residence in one of Café Trio’s comfy booths. And if you’re planning a party, Trio’s two private event spaces are just the ticket for a sexy soiree.
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I often choose cafe trio for special occasions and they always deliver on quality food and customer experience. The staff is well versed on the menu and are very accommodating. We were once sat near a very loud party in the upper seating area and they were very understanding when we ask to move and were happy to re-seat us in a more appropriate environment for a couples dinner.

On our most recent visit I had the Ciopinno which was tasty and pretty but not among the best meala I've ever eaten and my husband had the fillet with garlic mash, again a great meal but not the best steak in KC naturally. The cocktails are delicious and I love the live piano playing in the background. A great environment for a romantic dinner or a night out with friends.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We ate dinner at Café Trio on New Year's Eve with friends. There was a set menu and I selected the 14 oz. ribeye steak and asked that it be cooked medium. All of the food was well presented, the service was very good and all of the food except my steak was very good. The steak was well undercooked and so full of gristle that I couldn't cut it. They replaced the steak, but by the time I received it everyone else had finished their meal. I would think that a restaurant with the high prices charged that night would know when a piece of meat is of adequate quality and that it is properly cooked. I seriously doubt that we will return to that restaurant.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We followed Cafe Trio from its old location on Broadway, across from the Uptown Theater, to this new spot just off the Plaza, and it is better all the time.

Menu Tip: The braised beef short-ribs are magic, filled with wonderful flavor and the healing power to make the night-before disappear (along with some Belgian Ale).

Diverse menu with lots of flair, and a great patio (as soon as it warms up).

Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband turns 40 this week and I took him to Cafe Trio for dinner. We live in the KC area and Trio is one of our favorites. But they really outdid themselves this time! First, their holiday decorations are just BEAUTIFUL! I mean absolutely stunning. You walk into the restaurant feeling cheerful at the site of all the presents, lights, etc. The staff was very accommodating as I had called a few days prior and requested booth seating and champagne in honor of my husband's birthday. Crab cakes for an appetizer, pork cheek, blue cheese bistro, and mac daddy side was SO DELICIOUS! My husband and I just shared everything it was so tasty! We had a wonderful time, so thank you!

1  Thank tallblond9202
Reviewed December 7, 2013

What a wonderful restaurant! My family treated my sister for dinner for a special occasion and Cafe Trio did not disappoint. From the freshly decorated dinning room to the yummy gourmet food they made our entire meal feel special. Our waiter Jeremy S. was the best food server I have seen in a long time. When my sister asked how to get to the powder room they didn't just show her. One of the passing employee's actually walked her right to the door. If you want a nice bustling restaurant with excellent service and yummy gourmet food then try Cafe Trio! (On Friday night they even had a charming piano player) *Warning* They are in a busy area near the famous Country Club Plaza. It is a little tricky to get into the parking lot behind the building then walk up the steep outside stairs but it's worth it.. We can't wait to go back

1  Thank bustrorl