“Nice location eclectic hotel”

Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was a perfectly functional stay in a listed historical building converted into a Courtyard. It's right next to the Plaza - an open air mall of stores and restaurants, so very convenient for anything you need to buy or eat. Parking is included and attached. The rooms are fairly small but functional, and included a microwave. I had a good night's sleep, the breakfast was great, and the amenities were exactly what I expect from a Courtyard. Convenient for anything you need in Kansas City.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We were in town just to get away for Memorial Day weekend. The location was excellent for access to the shops and restaurants in the Country Club Plaza. The building has been restored nicely and the hotel room was clean, quiet, and had a view of the park across the street. Breakfast at the hotel was decent. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others. Btw...Sunday brunch at the Classic Cup Cafe was really good and they were very accommodating of young children. Fiorella's Jack Stack was recommended to us by friends from Kansas City but it was not so great for young kids-very loud and oddly very dark and the barbecue was just ok. The cupcakes at Cupcake a la Mode were delicious (and only $2 a cupcake on Mondays!)

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I were in town for my daughters 22nd birthday, and we LOVED this hotel. The Historical building, the new renovations and the super friendly staff tie together to create a memorable experience, especially for the value. Trey took special care, recommended our itinerary at the Power and Light District, and even arranged our transportation at the drop of a hat. I would suggest that you stay here if you are in KC, and the plaza location is perfect. 5 stars all the way.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Linus B
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I rarely stay in hotels of this quality anymore, but the location was perfect for a dinner meeting so I splurged. It is a truly beautiful renovation of an old apartment building and first class all the way. It reminded me of the Plaza Hotel in NYC back in the good old days! $220 (with taxes) is a lot for a one-night stay, but I don't think it is overpriced for what they offer.

One small disappointment. The welcoming material says "Breakfast is served in Table 4600 from 6:009am to 10:00 am...Table 4600 is located in the lower level of the hotel." I wish it also noted that this breakfast can be purchased. Being kind of used to getting complimentary breakfasts at hotels, especially at Marriott's as a Platinum card holder, I was surprised to have the waiter bring a bill for $15.

Room Tip: The rear entrance from the parking garage has an elevator that services only the lobby levels and fl...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel every time I have been to Kansas City for a business meeting. It is convenient to the restaurants of Country Club Plaza and is a nice place to stay. Parking lot is convenient and the rooms are comfortable. Staff is first rate. Looking forward to my next business trip to KC.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is very close to the Plaza - only two blocks away. It is also very close to parks and walking trails along the river. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone with activities on the Plaza. If I could change anything, I would suggest a separate bar area for after dinner drinks, etc. I would agree with other posts that the hotel has maintained its architecture and decor beautifully. There is also great jazz music playing in the lobby, which just naturally puts you in a good mood.

Room Tip: Room 517 is far away from the elevator, high up, and has a view of the walking trails across the str...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lazerojos
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had targeted staying here based on location and a very nice lobby. I had originally booked a couple stays while I was in and out of the KC area. My first night was a tiny disaster. There is basically not much parking that is covered and I got one of the last uncovered spaces. There is no way to bring a cart out to you car because there are several steps up between the entrances and either the front or rear of the hotel. so you must make several trips (in the rain) to ferry your luggage to the entrance where you can actually load the cart. Given that it was raining, I am not sure why they directed the load out back where it is so much more difficult? I don't remember if the front area was covered so... Anyway, the room requests had been lost through a few date changes, so I did not get the view I had specified.. Irritating, but not huge. The request that did get transmitted through was for feather pillows. I can not sleep on the recycled coke bottle pillows that are offered at many marriotts.. No Feather pillows in the room. I called down and got the night auditor, who was argumentative and unhelpful. I went down to the front desk and luckily there was someone else to talk to (Just past 11:00 PM) 30 minutes later some pillows were brought up.. More recycled coke bottle pillows. I removed all the pillows from the room and put them on a cart. Another maybe 40 minutes?? later they brought up feather pillows, so now about 12:20? in the morning, I finally can get some sleep. Not much luck there, as the beds are very firm... More of a personal thing because I guess some very old people might like hard mattresses... Anyway, tiny (but nice) room somewhere around 200 square feet at the most, uncomfortable bed, unorganized staff made this not as pleasant a stay, so I moved my reservations to another near by Marriott. The manager called the next day and was very professional, made everything right, so I am giving 3 stars, but without that call, I would have rated lower.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure they got the room request right and give them time to fix the misses.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo