“Good location - okay hotel - functional.”

Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Good location - okay hotel - functional.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Excellent staff and good location for walking to the Country Club Plaza but I didn't love this hotel. It was just okay. The price was a bit high for the quality level. For a few extra bucks per night could have gotten a 4 star hotel. In the past we used priceline and paid less for a much better hotel. The bedding was clean but not nice - functional. Same with the room. Just not as nice as I was expecting or the price would have indicated. It was generally an average hotel but for that area of town (country club plaza), I thought it was below average. I wouldn't stay there again. But again, it was clean and perfectly fine. If you get a good deal on the price, go for it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park out front. I don't think they have any rooms with views of the p...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank C001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed over Christmas at this hotel in the Kansas City Country Club Plaza area. It was a very nice, attractive historical hotel built about 1924. The room was very large, with 2 queens, a work desk, flat screen tv, and seating area, with a fold out sofa. It was clean and nicely decorated. The staff were all very friendly and we had no problems at all. They have a small breakfast dining area downstairs that has a buffett or prepared meals. The waiter, Michael, was very friendly, efficient and thoroughly impressed us each morning. The price for our room was very reasonable through a link on Southwest Airlines. It was conveniently located to many local attractions, not to mention the lovely Country Club Plaza across the street. There are numerous blocks of wonderful restuarants and shops of all types within a short walk. There was no charge for parking in a self parking area just behind the hotel. It was very convenient to the back entrance. We plan to stay here again when visiting family.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I arrived at 10 p.m. on Monday night for a one night stay. Check-in was very easy and I was directed to free parking in the back. Free parking in that area is a huge plus although there aren't many covered spots. I walked inside to my room and was surprised how small it was. The fridge in the room was making an awful loud humming noise and I eventually had to turn it off. I looked out the window onto a big concrete wall that was basically the side of the parking garage. It was late at night so it didn't matter, but I don't think anyone likes a view of a big concrete wall. If I had been there for a long stay, it would have bothered me more. The room overall was just okay. Like I said, kind of small and the bathroom was average. The decor was average although not as nice as a Hampton Inn. For $174 a night booked through Marriott's website, I definitely expected more. I can't imagine they were sold out of rooms and couldn't have put me on a higher level floor with a little better view. But that's okay. I got woken up the next morning by the alarm of the person in the room next to me which is kind of annoying. I also used the work out facility and was glad no one else was in there because it was really small. The tv on the treadmill didn't work. Overall, I'd say it was average. I'm sure there are some nice rooms in the hotel, I just didn't get one of them for whatever reason. There are lots of hotels in the area and I'll give something different a try next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Marriott Courtyard is our favorite place to stay on the Plaza, especially at Christmas. Easy walking distance to everything. We opted for the larger corner room this time and it gave us the extra room we needed without a high price. The room has a small refrigerator for beverages, which is nice. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is not included and the breakfast menu at the hotel is limited and just ok in flavor, but don’t let that deter you from staying at the hotel. There are other options on the plaza for breakfast. It is a nice hotel and we enjoy our stay there every time. We have tried the Sheraton and Embassy Suites on the plaza and always come back to the Marriott.

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

This chain hotel is in a 1925 apartment/hotel building that was state of the art when build. They have done an excellent job of remodelling a few years ago and it has been kept in great condition. Nice HD tv, good lines and bedding, quite clean and attractive. This is well located to the Country Club Plaza (just one block north of the main thoroughfare). Only sampled the cold side of the breakfast buffet but it was well done, with great service. The front desk ask several times if my room was to my satisfaction and called once. I will definitely stay here again. Parking is in the back of the hotel, with a combination of covered and outdoor parking. Not the handiest, but satisfactory because it's free.

Room Tip: Not sure you could have a room with elevator noise. I was right next to it and never heard a thing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

After the hustle and bustle of the holidays were over, we realized that we missed our annual trip to the Kansas City Plaza this year. We normally drive down to Kansas City and back the same night. But this time we booked a room for one night and made our trek to the Plaza from Nebraska. This hotel was an unexpected pleasure. The hotel was a mere block to the Plaza which meant that our car never left the parking lot the entire time we were there. The walk to the Plaza was very pleasant and very safe. The hotel itself was very clean and up to date. The room we had was a king bed suite complete with refrigerator, microwave oven, couch, coffee table, etc. The lobby was tastefully decorated for the holidays. The staff was super helpful and the available continental breakfast that next morning was worth every penny. We have decided that every year from here on out, we will be returning to the Plaza and staying at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel. They have rightfully gained our business.

Room Tip: Even though our room was on the JC Nichols Freeway side of the hotel, we experienced very little noi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

BIG room, great service, walk to anyplace on the Plaza! Stayed here a few days after Christmas. The hotel is literally right on the edge of the plaza - you can walk to any store/restaurant in a few minutes. Had free covered parking! The hotel staff was lovely and our corner room was huge. The Courtyard is the only hotel I found on the Plaza with Queen beds -- with a family of 5, we need the 2 queens and the sofabed. Lastly, we left my daughter's favorite 'blanket and stuffed animals' in the room and after a few days, the housekeeping staff tracked it down for us!! The front desk mailed it back to our home, which made for a very happy little girl!! Thanks to Daniel at the front desk for all his help!

Room Tip: Corner room was HUGE!