“Great Plaza location”

Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Ranked #24 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This property is in a renovated (ten years ago) older-style apartment building complex immediately adjacent to the Country Club Plaza. It is elegant, clean, and suited us perfectly. The parking area has some covered lower levels, which was good for us with a newer car during bad weather. We didn't try the restaurant or bar area, but the room was great. Our only comment would be they might be ready for some upholstery upgrades for the in-room sofas.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan S

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Courtyard by Marriott is located in the historic Park Lane Apartment building built in the 1920's - right at Country Club Plaza. Hotel has a great breakfast, a hotel bar, two small pools, a gym, etc. Parking is free at this location. Rooms are large and clean. Staff is friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Stay clear of upper floors and the old HVAC unit on the roof is loud
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I wanted to go to Kansas City to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. He's disabled, so we wanted a hotel that was close to restaurants and shops so that I could bring in meals if he wasn't up to venturing out and I could shop if he was resting.

The hotel is quaint and quiet, two things in its favor. It has potential, if they could just fix all the problems.

We stayed in The Fountain Suite, which is a nice room in the sense that it overlooks a beautiful fountain and a park. We specifically chose a suite so my husband could rest quietly when necessary.

However, the bed was so bad and it was ripped up. Seriously, it looked like it came out of dumpster and slept like it as well.

I had requested in my online reservation for a non-feather bedroom. Since the guest services person asked which suite we wanted, I knew the room we were about to be given contained feather pillows. I reminded the clerk that I'd asked for no feather pillows or comforter. He acknowledged. Four phone calls later, I finally got pillows that weren't feather.

I don't believe it was the fault of housekeeping - when they arrived, they were very attentive. I couldn't get guest services to actually DO anything about my request until I called the 4th time - then I got two different people who provided excellent customer service - finally!

To add to our frustration and dismay, the phone in the room was broken and there were red splashes (blood?) all over the white out curtains in the bedroom. When I used the second phone to call guest services about the pillows and tried to explain the phone was broken, she basically blew me off and said it wasn't. One of the times I called about the pillows, the guest services clerk said the hotel didn't HAVE feather pillows. Hum...it says duck feathers right on the label...

I don't think we were being reasonable to expect a better situation. If you can't get your core compentency down as a hotel - that of supplying a good bed for a good night's rest and that of responding to guests' requests - then you've got serious problems.

My husband wasn't feeling well, so we were forced to stay a second night but we cut our four-day visit to Kansas City short because we couldn't stand another night in that bed. We figured asking for another room was a crap shoot as to whether the bed would be any better. And of course, by that time, all of the reasons NOT to stay had piled up too high for there to be a mental recovery from our experience there.

One of the reasons we chose this hotel was because they said it had been converted in 2006, so we figured all the furniture and beds were new. No so. I will say the bathroom was the best part of the suite - it was modern.

Overall, we should have spent the extra money and stayed at the Raphael.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara D
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Would have given this stop a 5 star which it likely deserves, but would have liked our room just a bit cleaner, something smeared on the mirror, and something red on the wall by the microwave. It was a great building, great location and really good size room for our family of 5. The pool was great once I cleaned all the leaves out of it. Nice to have an outdoor pool to relax in for a bit on the hot days we encountered. Would probably stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We had a very nice and clean room, the staff was very friendly, and it was in a perfect location, at a decent weekend price. And such a relief to not pay additional parking at a big city hotel. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here one night on a cross country trip and were so delighted to find a unique and charming restored building! Since we stay only in Marriott chains to keep our status we'be been in so many cookie cutter old and newly remodeled Courtyards. This one stands out in charm, elegance and service. The location to the Country Club Plaza and the art museum is a plus, but we would enjoy thus type of hotel anywhere. Reminded us of the lovely restored Courtyard in Quebec City.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here for a last weekend of fun before school starts again. The hotel has a boutique feel and is a converted & renovated older apartment building with a lot of historic character. The location is absolutely perfect in relation to the Plaza in my opinion. Step out the front or back of the hotel and around the corner is the plaze shopping district. Our room was a king suite on an upper floor that faced the front. We had a great view of this huge fountain across the street. The pool area is in the back and very small. Breakfast was included for us and and it is a full buffet, a step above most hotels basic breakfasts. We highly recommend this hotel when visiting KC!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family