“President very nice stay and centrally located too”

Hilton President Kansas City
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 15, 2010

The President is a nice Hilton in the downtown area of Kansas City. It is an older hotel that has been remodeled very nicely; modern, but still has that older feel with the elevator doors, front lobby, etc.

The fitness room is very nice as I used it on one night of my stay!!!

The hotel is centrally located right in the middle of the downtown area. The Power and Light district starts at one corner beside the hotel...lots to eat and do in the P&L!!! Our corporate office is just a block away. I will be coming to KC again in the future and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hilton President Kansas City

Reviewed September 7, 2010

We selected the Hilton President because of its awesome location near the Power & Light District and because they were offering a great "Kitchen Sink" room rate that included breakfast and parking. Unfortunately, we received lousy service and probably will not return.

Checking in:
We arrived at the hotel and found that cars were triple-parked at the entrance, completely blocking traffic. It would have been great if the hotel website would have informed us that there is a convenient roundabout with an express check-in kiosk on the backside of the hotel.

The room:
The lobby of the hotel is absolutely amazing but our hotel room was disappointing. The color scheme and dingy linens were ugly and unappealing to the extreme. The worst aspect of the room was the noise level. We could hear complete conversations from the adjacent rooms and from the hallway. We could also hear footsteps from the room above. I can't seem to remember ever staying in a hotel with such inadequate soundproofing.

Dining:
Our room rate included a breakfast buffet. It was better than average but my made-to-order omelet was super greasy and undercooked in the middle. On the second day I skipped the omelet and was much happier with the meal.

Customer NOService:
The worst part of this hotel was the lousy service. During our three day stay, housekeeping NEVER EVER came. It was as if the hotel had forgotten we were there! Several complaints to the front desk failed to rectify the situation, which just shows you how bad the customer service is. By the last day, we were completely out of towels and pretty upset about the whole thing.

I cannot recommend this hotel, not even if you get a great room rate like we did. There are plenty of other hotels nearby.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I was just in Kansas City (August 15-20) for the Blacks in Government National Conference. I was at the Hilton President for my entire stay and to be perfectly honest- I hated to leave. The staff, amenities and most of all the courtesy they showed to a "tourist" was unbeleivable. They answered all my questions (best BBQ etc) gave me directions and most of all made my stay in a word- fantastic!. I recommend the city and definitely this hotel to anyone who intends on visiting K.C.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2010

Thanks for your kind words about our hotel and especially the staff. We have a staff that takes a great deal of pride in providing our guests the absolute best vist to Kansas City. We look forward to your return in the future-

Reviewed July 31, 2010

I stayed here for 1 night for business, and was very happy with the choice. The best part about the hotel is the location -- it's right by the Power & Light district, so it was easy to go out with my colleague and get a nice dinner. The hotel itself is quite charming -- the lobby is beautifully restored and looks like a 1930's hotel. The room itself was fine - nothing special but no issues either. They provided free internet, which was refreshing. The free buffet breakfast was also pretty nice -- beyond the average continental breakfast. I would definitely recommend this place.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

Thank you for the kind comments about your visit to our hotel. It is nice to see our visitors taking advantage of our free internet service. We take a great deal of pride in our hotel, and I am pleased you noted the attention to detail to give our hotel the 1930's feel you described.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

Thiis is a beautiful, historic hotel. The staff are "johnny-on-the-spots", always available with a smile. I would have given this a 5 star, but the room (and towels) could have been more clean.

Exercise room is small but efficient - weights, treadmills, benches, bikes, 2-3 elipticals, kettle balls and mats.

The hotel was quiet, even though it was close to fully booked.

Breakfast buffet had a lot to choose from, including made-to-order omelettes. I loved that they only charged me for oatmeal instead of the entire buffet - so many times it is all or nothing, and they offered to charge me less because I wasn't opting into the whole thing.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Thanks for taking a moment to share your thoughts about your visit to our hotel, I have taken note of all of your comments and will check into the comments about housekeeping. I am certainly pleased you had such a nice visit. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

I booked months in advance for two nights in two adjoining rooms because I had to bring my 84 year old mother to Kansas City for a family event. I stressed my desire for adjoining rooms (or at least nearby rooms if nothing else were available.) In the past two years when I've had to make similar requests for adjoing rooms at other hotels (for social or medical reasons) there has never been a problem. Due to flight delays we arrived late, 10:20PM (11:20 Eastern -- Hey, if you're 84 that's late!). No one was at the front entrance. After getting my tired and agitated mother into the lobby, I went back out to the front of the hotel and carried our own luggage in--there was still no one there. I then had to carry our luggage up to the rooms, since there was no one there to assist. Thank God my mother is easy to get along with and never complains. I had been contacted by the concierge earlier in the week, which I thought was a nice touch, and it had made me hopeful for the visit. I repeated my request for adjoining rooms and was told the rooms were "across the hall" from each other. To be fair, I'm sure she had tried to be helpful. The rooms, however, turned out to be on the same side of the hall but separated by several other rooms. It made for a lot of running back and forth during the night. I did encounter several extremely nice and helpful housekeepers and parking valets. Unfortunately, their sense of hospitality doesn't seem to be shared by the hospitality "professionals." I suppose this might be easier if I were a daughter rather than a son and she didn't mind sharing the same room. The hotel itself is beautiful, and evokes the charm of a bygone era. Unfortunately, the lack of human attention makes you more keenly aware that that era has indeed gone by. There are plenty of other hotels in the area. Next time I'll try my luck at a different one.

• Stayed: July 2010
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2010

I was sorry to hear of your issues at our hotel. While we do make every attempt to accomidate room location requests, sometimes we can not honor the request, even if the reservation is made months in advance. It certainly sounds like we let you down in this regard, and the level of service was not to your expectation either.
I take full responsibility for your issues and will discuss with my management staff.
Philip

Reviewed July 10, 2010

Stayed 2 nights over July 4 weekend. Fantastic place to stay, especially if you love history. This place is dripping in it. They did a great job preserving history when they remodeled this hotel. Absolutely loved the Drum Room. Sitting there having drinks, you can imagine what it was like back in the day when Sinatra played this room.

Hotel sits next to the Power and Light District, so endless list of bars and restaurants are at your fingertips. It was a three day weekend, so the District was alive all night with people on the street. However, from our room on the first floor, we never heard anything at all.

The hotel also served as our base for the two days as explored the city during the day. We walked to the City Markets one day and the War Memorial the next. Based on my experience, I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2010

Thank you so much for your kind comments, we are very proud of the history of the hotel and do all we can to share that with our guests. The hotel opened originally in 1927 and we have done our best to tie the current look and feel with the original look and feel, it is truly a passion for this wonderful building that our staff shares with our guests. We look forward to your return visit. If you stop by and visit the concierge during your next visit, we would be happy to arrange a tour of the property pointing out many of the historic features.
Philip