“A Fine Choice Near the Kansas City Convention Center”

Hilton President Kansas City
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I stayed here 5 nights during a conference at the nearby Kansas City Convention Center. The hotel is especially convenient for events at there -- a three block walk. The lobby and exterior have an historic, majestic air. The rooms have been renovated into uniform, standard Hilton rooms -- comfortable enough, clean enough, well-enough maintained for me. Service on all levels was always pleasant, but not always polished (e.g., their wake up call system wasn't working properly so they compensated with a personal phone call each day, but neither the automated call nor the personal call came right on time; a dozen of us witnessed a very angry guest reacting to the news that the hotel was overbooked and there was no room for her -- these things happen, but a more experienced customer service manager would have escorted her away from other guests while assisting her, rather than trying unsuccessfully to defuse her temper right in the middle of the lobby). If you can get a rate that includes breakfast, it's well worth it. Breakfast is served buffet-style in the Walnut Room -- just off the lobby and was nicely presented (fresh fruit, oatmeal, eggs made to order, breads, etc.), there was always a free table, and the hostess was very friendly. I would gladly return.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank PoblanoJ
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2010

Thank you for your kind comments about your visit to our hotel. We look forward to hosting you in the future.
Philip

Write a ReviewReviews (1,156)

Reviewed May 19, 2010

After a rough night of weather delayed travel, I finally arrived at the Hilton President in Kansas City at a little after 1:00 a.m. and wanted a nightcap. The front desk associate at the time, Larry, was extremely cordial, loaned me an umbrella, and pointed me to the short walk to the modern Fran's 24 hour diner-which was a good suggestion. The hotel room was spacious, well appointed, and the chocolate at turndown was a welcome touch of class. The next morning I enjoyed a fantastic complimentary breakfast buffet with a business associate and we were greeted by David, the Director of Food & Beverage. After engaging David, he was extremely kind and spent time talking with us at our table. The General Manager Philip was making rounds while we were laughing and talking with David and came over and introduced himself, shared a few minutes with us, and thanked me for staying with them. What started as a frustrating trip to KC, ended with the fond memory of being made to feel like a valued individual guest from the staff, in a beautiful, well operated hotel. I will certainly return for more of that! Spencer

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank slangley
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2010

Thank you for the very kind comments about our hotel. I am pleased we exceeded your expectations!

Reviewed May 17, 2010

I carry a favorite spoon from a defunct airline with me to stir coffee and use for snacks. I inadvertently left it out and the maid took it when she cleaned the room as she thought it was part of Room Service. My fault and I thought the spoon was gone for ever. When I checked out, the front desk person, Micaela, asked was there anything else she could do for me. I asked her to find the spoon for me as it was unique. She took it as a challenge. She is the President Concierge and was just filling in at the desk when I checked out. Needless to say, I was floored when she called a few days later to tell me they found the spoon. She confirmed my address and it arrived two days later.

Think about it: thousands of spoons in a hotel with several excellent restaurants as well as complete room service. They found a single spoon. If that isn't making the impossible happen, I don' t know what is. When you're in downtown Kansas City, the Hilton President is where you want to stay. I know I will when I go back.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Oksalez

Wonderful comments, and I will make sure they are shared with our staff. I am truly pleased and impressed by Micaela's attention to your request, that at the time seemed impossible!

Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend of our anniversary. We wanted something within walking distance of the Sprint Center. The staff for this hotel were very friendly and helpful. The room was nice for what we need and the bathroom was spacious. It is only 3 blocks from the Sprint Center. The Power and Light District was a great place to be close to. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would not recommend this hotel on the weekend if there are concerts in the PLD, you can hear the noise, although it wasn't bothersome to us. I would recommend getting the kitchen sink rate, it includes parking and a breakfast buffet, which is very nice.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2010

TXgirl79
I am so pleased you had a great stay at our hotel. Your comments are very thoughtful and I will share them with our staff- look forward to your return!

Reviewed February 8, 2010

Helpful front desk staff, Nice room, Nice facility. Only issues are self parking is expensive and not very convenient. If you use it figure out a way to leave the bags at the hotel with someone so you don't have to lug them back. There was a noisy guest on our floor in the night but a call to the front desk quickly took care of it. We had a great breakfast buffet. One of the best omelettes I have ever had. Do the "kitchen sink" rate and it includes free parking and free breakfast. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank b2buck

B2BUCK
Thanks for your feedback, we are working on the parking issue..still....hopefully we will have some new parking solutions. The parking situation in downtown KC can be a little sticky especailly on the weekends, but I hear you!

Reviewed December 27, 2009

I had a one night stay at this hotel. I asked for a quiet room and the desk gave me a corner room about as far from the elevator as I could be. Had a very nice view of the restaurants and lights down the hill from the hotel. Hotel has a very charming reception area, with a balcony, and has retained its older character, although the rooms seem thoroughly refurbished and are up to Hilton standards. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, and it offered a very nice buffet at a reasonable price, along with excellent coffee. All in all, a pleasant place to spend a night on business travel. It was definitely better than I expected based on the reviews here. Lack of free internet a negative; also there was some TV noise coming through the door with the adjoining room, but not enough to be annoying.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Juggling_Mom
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I stayed at the President KC the past weekend. I usually do not write reviews for hotels but I was so impressed by the service of this one that I had to let people know what a great experience it was. I am gold VIP on the Hilton Honors program which entitles me to room upgrades, and free breakfast as well. Some hotels will fight you to dead not to provide this benefits (I guess it depends on the local administration), when I checked in front desk manager was quick to offer an upgrade to a suite, and provided us with two tickets for a complementary buffet breakfast. When we got to the room we realized that there was only one bathrobe in the closet. I called the front desk and I had my other bathrobe in less than 5 minutes. The concierge service was great as well. I was asking him for directions to get to the Crown Center (which is about 2 miles away from the hotel), and he promptly offer to give us a right there on the hotel van since parking could be a hassle. He also provided us with great dinner reservations. The rooms are in excellent condition I was a little worried when I first made the reservation because they called this a “historical” hotel which in some cases is just an excuse not to make the necessary upgrades. This was not the case here rooms were modern, great LCD TV, and very comfortable restrooms. In general a great experience two thumbs up.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple