“Rough around the edges” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Rough around the edges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and stayed at the Hilton President for one night recently. I am a Hilton Honors member,many I usually try to stay at Hilton properties. The historic character and downtown location of this hotel are great, but I've stayed at Hampton Inns (a Hilton property) that had more amenities. First, we quickly realized that the bedding on our bed had clearly not been changed! Thank goodness I checked well before we planned to go to bed! We called the front desk and a woman from housekeeping was changing all of the bedding within minutes. She did an amazing job, by the way. The room and bathroom were nice sized, I thought, and we didn't hear any noise from the hall or elsewhere. The bed was comfortable, so we did have a restful night. WiFi is not free, even though I'm a HHonors Silver member - again, at a Hampton Inn recently, I parked for free, received free WiFi, and had a decent free breakfast! I paid an extra $10 each upon check in for the breakfast buffet the next morning, which was acceptable: made to order omelettes, bacon, oatmeal, cold cereal, pastries, fruit, yogurt, juice, milk, coffee, toast, cereal bars. We had martinis in the Drum Room bar the night of our arrival. The drinks were great, but it was a little dull in there for a Friday night. I would stay here again if I got a really good rate, or if I used points, because I like the location, but I would not pay over $150 night.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MNdawnygirl
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thanks for sharing your comments about your visit to our hotel. If I recall we have reached out to you via traditional means to get some more information about your visit to our hotel. It appears value was the lacking item in your visit to our hotel. All of your points are certainly taken under consideration. Thank you for your time in sharing some notes about your visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Manhattan, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on Sunday, August 4, as we were attending a concert at the Sprint Center down the street. We've stayed at the President several times in the past, and frankly, the experience is up and down every time. This trip, the girl at the front desk was on the surly side at check-in, something I simply won't tolerate being a Hilton Hhonors member and paying well over $200 for the "privilege" of staying here. Once I gently reminded her that guests like us were the reason she was employed, she straightened up. Somewhat. She ran two key cards for us, one of which didn't work (on purpose?). Of course, that's the one I tried to use to get into the parking garage. No go. It also wouldn't get us into the room. Or into the closet where the ice machine is. Good thing we had the spare...

The room itself was nice, although small for the money ($210 plus the sky-high KC taxes made it $247). Very nice bathroom, but the shower was a complete joke. So little pressure that you had to almost run around under it to get wet. And what genius decided to mount the showerhead almost at ceiling height?? Completely unacceptable, and it made us wonder how much worse the pressure was on the higher floors. Such a waste of a very good Speakman showerhead, too.

This property has joined in with the so-called "green" movement, meaning you no longer get your bill under the door on check-out day. They supposedly email it to you long after you've checked out. We left seven days ago and I still haven't seen anything. I mention this because they took the opportunity to charge me for self parking, even though it was included in the Kitchen Sink package I reserved. I found out only because I check my credit card transactions online on a regular basis. So I had to call and get that straightened out. At least Barbara was very quick to take care of it, kudos to her.

The package also included breakfast for the two of us. It was the typical hotel buffet. Some items were good, others not so good. However, it was largely unattended--no hostess, no servers, nobody. We walked in and there wasn't a soul around, so we didn't know whether to wait to be seated, or just take a table. After a few minutes,a kid did show up at the far end by the buffet, but he didn't pay any attention to us. Finally another kid showed up and seated us. The buffet had an obvious omelette bar, but no one there to cook for you. After a group of businessmen showed up, the cook magically appeared, made an omelette for one of them, and then disappeared again. When we drove out of the parking garage later, he was sitting on a ledge outside smoking. Hey President G.M., if you're going through the pretense of having an omelette bar, why not see to it that it's manned??

We have another concert trip coming up in mid-October at the Midland Theater. The President would once again be the ideal place to stay based on location, but I seriously doubt we'll keep making that mistake. What a shame, too, because it is a slice of KC's history, and the renovation is really nice. But to pay another $200+ and be subjected to such a poorly run property is the very definition of lunacy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KSUBaker
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your visit to our hotel. It appears we had some service failures during your visit, my sincere apologies.
Bowling Green, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I am, as I am writing this, in this hotel. I have been awake almost all night because of loud music. Our room is a corner room with windows on Baltimore and 14th streets, and even though the windows are closed, we heard loud music until 2 AM coming from outside the hotel. Then at 6 AM, it started again.

When we checked in we were told that there would be a band across the street at 6AM supporting a breast cancer walk, so we asked for a room away from that side. We were told none was available. After dinner, we asked the clerk if she had some ear plugs, but she had none. No drugstore was open in he area, although it was only 8pm.

I have said in many, many hotels in cities much larger (NYC, Washington, LA, etc.) where one might expect a noisier room, but never have I stayed where it felt as if music were being piped in almost all night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Topper1977
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
I am very sorry about the noise coming from the Komen Walk to cure breast cancer. Every year thousands assemble in the area and walk for a cure, it's a wonderful event, and we can only hope that this event raises continued awareness and money, moving towards a cure. We do our best to inform all guests that there will be noise coming from the outside of the hotel very early, as you noted we did so. I am sorry we did not have an alternative location for you to sleep. Fortunately we only had two noise complaints from guest rooms this year for the Komen event. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Portage, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This is an Historic hotel and as I was checking it, I was a bit leery. But the rooms were well appointed with modern well outfitted bathrooms. They must have had a major renovation as it was surprisingly nice. We had a meeting in the Aztec room and it was clearly antique, but it was fine with a/v, etc. Breakfast was good, although the room was just a large banquet room without a ton of character. This would be a convenient place to stay for a concert or to enjoy the restaurants and clubs near by. Staff was helpful and directed me on a good place to run this morning. Beds were very comfortable with great pillows.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thanks so much for the wonderful review! One of the most important items about ANY hotel are the beds. I am pleased you found the rooms and the beds so comfortable. The hotel was originally opened in 1927, and underwent a massive renovation a few years back. We certainly hope to see you again in the future!
Naperville, IL, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stay here on Hilton Points. It's a great hotel, but were woken at 3:00am by a group of loud inebrated young adults who were there for a wedding & reception. This noise went for about 15 minutes. We called hotel staff, and they just responsed with "we know already." Also, we had made the reservations for four adults but only had provisios (towels) for 3 in the room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank David D
David
Thanks for your review. It sounds like you had a great stay, but we could have done a better job controlling some noise issues. We will take a look at the response that night and see what we could have done differently/better. Sometimes a few of our guests can get a little loud, and we certainly should be able to control those issues. We hope to see you again in the future!
Morristown, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We were happy with our stay here. It was a nice, older hotel and have nothing great or negative to say- overall it was a good stay. We had the sense that it was under staffed, but the workers seemed to work hard. The breakfast seemed above average for a Hilton with many choices. The location was perfect walking distance to KC's many great eating & drinking choices.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thanks for your time sharing your thoughts about your visit to our hotel. I am pleased you had a great stay. Point taken about staffing levels. Hope to see you again in the future!
Indianapolis, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

With an excellent location in the heart of Downtown Kansas City MO, the Hilton President pays homage to historic Kansas City flourishing in mid-century and earlier. From your first steps into the well-appointed lobby, you'll be impressed by the architectural details of the stately columns, velvet furnishings and hospitable staff. Guest rooms are spacious, with respectable sized bathrooms. The Walnut Room (hotel restaurant)does a nice job with a full service breakfast. You can enjoy a cocktail at the hotel's bar, the historic "Drum Room" before you head out to dinner at one of the many fine dining venues that Kansas City offers. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thanks so much for the kind words about your visit to our hotel. It sounds like you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. We certainly hope to see you again in the future!