“KC Wedding Weekend”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“KC Wedding Weekend”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Beautifully Restored Historic Hotel located in the center of the newly resurgent downtown Kansas City. The bright lights and noise of the Power & Light District bars/clubs/restaurants are within a 3 block radius as well as the KC Convention Center, Theatres, Ballet and much more. I was impressed with all the new development but downtown KC is still hit and miss in terms of an urban wasteland after 5pm. Number of wedding parties taking place in the Hotel and the usual late night hijinks in the hallways (noise) but nevertheless I had a marvelous time. Love the old 1920's charm of the hotel and staff was helpful/friendly. The self parking garage was rather steep for KC prices $16 per day but there was cheaper street parking available nearby. I would definitely recommend it for a nice weekend getaway or city break

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Thanks for your kind review. I often wonder if the weddings of the 1920's were as much a party as the weddings of current day? You bring up a valid point when you question the noise in the hotel and we do our best to monitor the levels of noise and the traffic in the hallways.
Either way I am glad you had a nice visit to the hotel. Look forward to seeing you in the future!
Philip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed one night recently as we were attending an event in the P&L District.

Location is fantastic, and while all the standard Hilton touches are present and the hotel has been beautifully restored, it just lacks some of those finishing touches that will make the place truly elegant and the place to stay. For example, table clothes on the breakfast table, and warm plates so your food does not go cold too quickly. Valet is good but parking is expensive, particularly when there are many off street locations nearby.

Overall, if you get a competitive rate then choose this over the other nearby chain hotels. The only sad thing is that for a few extra touches it could be really special.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review. We were the first business to open in the entertainment district, and it has been great to see the downtown resurgence from the hotel point of view. Very pleased you had a nice visit to our hotel and we hope to see you again.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This is clearly a local property steeped in local history. Outsiders, such as myself, will wonder what all the fuss is about.

Stayed one night. Property is located in resurging downtown Kansas City. The property touts that it was built in the early 20th Century and has played host to several US Presidents...hence the name.

The lobby is small and filled with furniture. The elevators are really small and can only fit one family at a time with no luggage. If someone brings on a luggage cart, there's only room for two additional adults.

The room was fairly spacious and clean. I didn't appreciate seeing water in the coffee maker. Who knows how long that was in there. I also did not appreciate having an almost empty tube of lotion. Clearly the cleaning staff did not replace it after the previous guest. I held the tube up to the light to see that it only contained 10 percent of it's expected contents...ICK!!

The lounge was OK. there was only bar seating or high-bar tables with bar height chairs.

The property played host to a couple of wedding parties. My take is that it must be percieved locally to be a grand event to have your wedding at this property. There were numerous elderly guests at the property. Again, it made me think there's a lot of local history to this property.

Parking is in a garage across an alley from the property. There is also a valet.

The staff, who interacted with, was great. Other than what I've mentioned, there were no issues with my stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Well the review did not start with a bang, but reading further into your review it sounds like you had a nice stay. I certainly will forward your comments about housekeeping, sounds like we dropped the ball there.
I agree, the elevators are/were small. Unfortunately during the renovation they could not expand the elevator shaft, I suppose people were smaller in the 1920's? That question is asked quite often.
Hopefully you will choose our hotel again in the future, it is indeed a Kansas City landmark!
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I spent 3 nights at Hilton President. For the rate that I received I would definitely return. However, 2 of the mornings I was there the valet service was very slow. Additionally, I think the rooms could be set up in a better fashion. Overall a good value.

• Stayed October 2011
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I have stayed at the Hilton President several times for business.

Here's the good: the rooms are pretty spacious; have optimal features (desk, wireless Internet) for business; the location is excellent; the gym is pretty large and has plenty of new equipment; and the valets are very nice.

Here's the bad: the last couple of times I stayed there, I noticed pink mold/mildew in the bathrooms, and the shower floors felt slimy; I had some random "building engineer" (at least according to the front desk) try to come into my room at 11:30 at night, which was terrifying; and there were bugs (roaches?) crawling on the floor of the gym (not a random occurrence, as I saw a couple on a separate days).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Tucson AZ
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed for a wedding with alot of family and friends. The location is great. Take super shuttle for $18 each. Taxi cost $50. There is many options for dining. The hotel will schedule a shuttle for $50-75 and it seats up to 12. They will also shuttle you within a short distance for free. Mark was great and we tipped him well. A short walk to bars and restaurants. They even have a BK Bar. They servre whoppers and beer. Never seen that one before. I didn't dine there, but family members did late night.

Beds were great. A/C didn't work very well. I called and they made some adjustments. I kept my windows open the last night as the temps were in the 50's. They don't do express check-out as this was a green initiative to save paper.

The Walnut restaurant was ok. Nothing to brag about. They give HHonors members freee breakfast vs. having an Executive Lounge is what I was told.

The turn down service was nothing special. They left water at our doorstep two nights in a row. I have no idea why they wouldn't enter the room. I didn't have a do not disturb sign up.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Thanks for taking a moment to send your review. The location as you noted is fantastic. I am pleased you found the hotel to your liking and we hope to see you again in the future. I will also make sure Mark is aware of your compliment.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I am giving this hotel 5 stars based off of the history of this hotel. It is just amazing. It may not be the most modern hotel but it definately is fun to stay at. I love the fact that you can walk around the hotel and read about the history and also see old pieces from when the hotel existed years ago.

When they were restoring this historic building, much attention was placed on the detail of it. In fact, it was closed for 25 years before Hilton spent a lot of money to renovate and remodel this place. Hat off to them for not just wrecking it and building something else...like a modern building.

On a side note: I was given my room early and as I walked in to the room...I noticed that the room was trashed...there were potato chips and beer bottles everywhere. But I kept walking in...I should have stopped right there and then I find a old naked man laying on the bed. At first I thought he was dead and then He jumped up and I ran for my life. That was totally scary. In all of my years of travel this has never ever happen to me.

You may say to yourself...okay creepy naked guy in your room should be a two star review...nope...girl at the front desk felt bad and gave me a junior corner suite...now we are talking! Old naked guy is erased from my mind!

I call this customer service...they made a mistake and then apologized and up graded my room. In fact, weeks later a manager called and said, "I heard you had a problem when you checked in?" I said, "Yes I did!" and told him the story. He had no idea...in fact...I think he wasnt even suppose to call me. He felt so bad that he offered me a free dinner when I return back to the hotel. It was a nice gesture but I will probably never go back to the hotel...I do not take that many business trips to Kansas City...two trips in the last 14 years for me.

I loved the history of the hotel...the morning breakfast buffett was good too...it was included with my room stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Oh my, what an interesting review. Certainly our apologies for checking you into an occupied room. Sounds like it was the surprise of your life. I am pleased we seemed to handle the, lets say awkward, situation well.
Sometimes we do indeed make mistakes, but I am also sure we are judged on how we handle those situations that truly define us.
Thanks again for taking the time-