“Good location, but just OK”

Hilton President Kansas City
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I have stayed at the Hilton President several times for business.

Here's the good: the rooms are pretty spacious; have optimal features (desk, wireless Internet) for business; the location is excellent; the gym is pretty large and has plenty of new equipment; and the valets are very nice.

Here's the bad: the last couple of times I stayed there, I noticed pink mold/mildew in the bathrooms, and the shower floors felt slimy; I had some random "building engineer" (at least according to the front desk) try to come into my room at 11:30 at night, which was terrifying; and there were bugs (roaches?) crawling on the floor of the gym (not a random occurrence, as I saw a couple on a separate days).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)

Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed for a wedding with alot of family and friends. The location is great. Take super shuttle for $18 each. Taxi cost $50. There is many options for dining. The hotel will schedule a shuttle for $50-75 and it seats up to 12. They will also shuttle you within a short distance for free. Mark was great and we tipped him well. A short walk to bars and restaurants. They even have a BK Bar. They servre whoppers and beer. Never seen that one before. I didn't dine there, but family members did late night.

Beds were great. A/C didn't work very well. I called and they made some adjustments. I kept my windows open the last night as the temps were in the 50's. They don't do express check-out as this was a green initiative to save paper.

The Walnut restaurant was ok. Nothing to brag about. They give HHonors members freee breakfast vs. having an Executive Lounge is what I was told.

The turn down service was nothing special. They left water at our doorstep two nights in a row. I have no idea why they wouldn't enter the room. I didn't have a do not disturb sign up.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

Thanks for taking a moment to send your review. The location as you noted is fantastic. I am pleased you found the hotel to your liking and we hope to see you again in the future. I will also make sure Mark is aware of your compliment.

Reviewed September 27, 2011

I am giving this hotel 5 stars based off of the history of this hotel. It is just amazing. It may not be the most modern hotel but it definately is fun to stay at. I love the fact that you can walk around the hotel and read about the history and also see old pieces from when the hotel existed years ago.

When they were restoring this historic building, much attention was placed on the detail of it. In fact, it was closed for 25 years before Hilton spent a lot of money to renovate and remodel this place. Hat off to them for not just wrecking it and building something else...like a modern building.

On a side note: I was given my room early and as I walked in to the room...I noticed that the room was trashed...there were potato chips and beer bottles everywhere. But I kept walking in...I should have stopped right there and then I find a old naked man laying on the bed. At first I thought he was dead and then He jumped up and I ran for my life. That was totally scary. In all of my years of travel this has never ever happen to me.

You may say to yourself...okay creepy naked guy in your room should be a two star review...nope...girl at the front desk felt bad and gave me a junior corner suite...now we are talking! Old naked guy is erased from my mind!

I call this customer service...they made a mistake and then apologized and up graded my room. In fact, weeks later a manager called and said, "I heard you had a problem when you checked in?" I said, "Yes I did!" and told him the story. He had no idea...in fact...I think he wasnt even suppose to call me. He felt so bad that he offered me a free dinner when I return back to the hotel. It was a nice gesture but I will probably never go back to the hotel...I do not take that many business trips to Kansas City...two trips in the last 14 years for me.

I loved the history of the hotel...the morning breakfast buffett was good too...it was included with my room stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Oh my, what an interesting review. Certainly our apologies for checking you into an occupied room. Sounds like it was the surprise of your life. I am pleased we seemed to handle the, lets say awkward, situation well.
Sometimes we do indeed make mistakes, but I am also sure we are judged on how we handle those situations that truly define us.
Thanks again for taking the time-

Reviewed September 26, 2011

Lovely old hotel, we enjoyed staying here. The Drum Room Restaurant is famous for its live music. The food was really great as was the service. The rooms are your basic hotel room but it was clean and quiet. After having been traveling for nearly a month it was a good place to "rest" for a day or two.

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I stayed at the Hilton President on September 18, 2011. I booked the Corporate Zone package, which was to include a tension tamer massage and a facial. When I arrived at the hotel, the gentleman behind the desk said he didn't know what this package was and that I would need to talk to the manager the next morning. After doing so, I was refunded the money I paid for this portion of the package, but did not receive what I really needed, which was the massage and facial. Apparently, this hotel works in conjunction with a spa that was supposed to call me to book my services, but they never did contact me. I was very disappointed. During my stay, I also requested an ethernet cable for their high-speed internet, which took nearly 20 minutes to arrive at my room. Then the internet did not work. For the price paid at this supposedly upscale hotel, I was quite disappointed and will not stay there again. I am a very frequent traveler across the United States and this was probably one of my worst experiences.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank labgirl56
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Sorry to hear about your less than satisfactory visit to our hotel. We will certainly address the issues with our partner spa. If they cannot provide the services our guests are looking for and have paid for, we will terminate our relationship with them.
Also there is no reason you should have had to wait so long for the ethernet cable. The hotel offers free wireless wi-fi, so I am not quite sure why there was an issue.
Again my apologies for the multiple issues.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

I recently stayed in KC overnight for a business trip. This hotel was a really nice place to stay. Very comfortable and clean. The staff was very friendly and more than willing to help with any questions or needs that I had. I love the charm of this hotel and it is very quiet. I am a frequent Marriott user but this hotel is definitely on my short list now.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Thanks for your kind review of our hotel! Your comment about the charm of the hotel is correct. The hotel certainly is a gem of Kansas City, and you can just feel the history when you visit.
Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again at the President!

Reviewed September 20, 2011

This marks our second stay at the Hilton President and, as before, it was a very nice stay. I give it just 4 out of 5 mainly due to price / value. Of course, you stay for the location. If you attending any events at Sprint Center this is the only I would suggest staying in. You are conveniently located within a couple blocks walking distance to Sprint Center and the Power & Light District, which lies between the Hilton and Sprint, is full of fantastic restaurants and is just a fun area. The restaurants are generally busy and, as one manager told us, the crowd is driven totally by the attraction at Sprint Center.
The Hilton staff is very helpful and accommodating. Our room was clean and well kept. The only issue was the air conditioning was a little lax in keeping the room really comfortable but we didn't both the hotel staff with it since we arrived back to the hotel so late and departed relatively early.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

I am very pleased you enjoyed your second visit to our hotel. We are the only hotel in the Power and Light District and the closest hotel the Sprint Center, I am happy you were able to take advantage of that fact.
Thanks for the kind words about your room as well. I will forward your comments about the air comfort in your room to our engineering staff.
We look forward to hosting you in the future!