“A must for Cue fanatics!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gates Bar-B-Q

Gates Bar-B-Q
Ranked #47 of 1,406 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Richmond, Virginia
“A must for Cue fanatics!”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Fries were ok, but the burnt ends sandwich on a hoagie was out of this world. Ate here for lunch and did not need another meal for the rest of the day. I have heard mixed things about the service. One lady several people in front of me had words with the cashier and got out of the line and went to another. However, my experience was entirely different and the slogan "Hi, may I help you" that they use certainly applied here. In fact, as far as taste might rank their burnt ends sandwich ever so slightly below Arthur Bryant's, but the service, portion size, and atmosphere was great. The workers here move quick and get you through the line quick. Plenty of parking (at least at the one on Cleaver Boulevard).

• Visited June 2014

Saint Louis, Missouri
“finger licking good”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

we had to try this place out was recommend by a family member now they have spacious dining area and the food is very good so if your wanting a bbq place that is also in various areas of kc so it is convenient if your staying or in various areas of town definitely check it out

Visited June 2014
hot springs, arkansas
“Excellent Bar B Q....wish everyone....”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

had a chance to eat here. The staff was overly kind and informative about what might best suit our tastes. Sauce has a little heat to it. Fries were enough for two.

• Visited June 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great Bar- B- Q”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

The food was very good and the beer was cold. Excellent value for the quantity and quality of food. I love the servers.I have a new appreciation for bar-b-q. the assorted platter for four can really feed six. I had sauce on the side. I found myself sopping the sauce with my bread.

Visited May 2014
Reno
“Was KC BBQ as good as Carolina or Texas?”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I like to sample good BBQ, without sauce. I look for smoke, flavor, tenderness and moistness. Annually I go to many BBQ cook-offs and try their customer served ribs, brisket and pulled pork. I have found Texas and Carolina to have the best and the most consistent BBQ. Gates was told to me, by many locals to be the best of all KC BBQ. My companion and I went here since was told it was the original. It was very busy and confusing. I got the 3 meat combo, Ribs, Brisket and ham, but forgot to tell them to make it dry. When it came it was sauced but lightly, and some pieces not thoroughly covered and a giant plate. The rib had the right texture, not fall off the bone, just you bite the rib and the meat comes clean off the bone. The ribs were very meaty, spice well, no strange single flavor, the smoke was heavy a plus for me and moist, one of the moistest rib I have ever had.
Brisket is a tough meat to do and not dry it out or toughen it up. Take slow long heat to get it right. Well Gates did it right, the meat was moist, tender and smoked well however the flavoring was missing but all the other traits were right so maybe they intend the meat to speak the flavor. What impressed me about the ham was the smoke, I thought I was in the smokehouse when eating the meat.
Now the downfall to KC BBQ was the sauce, Gates sauce screamed of Paprika, it over powers the other flavors. I am more inclined to like Carolina sauce first and Teas second and sorry KC if this is your best?
Ok, Gates made a believer of me on the cooking of the meat, they are a top BBQer and the flavor of the meat was right, no one flavor overpowered the rest and anyone that can give me a piece of BBQ and I feel like I am eating it in a smokehouse, yum. Unluckily I only sampled 2 KC BBQ, this was very good, the other was terrible so no clear winner in my mind, remember consistent.
I would recommend Gates very highly, just bring some Carolina sauce if you want sauce.

• Visited May 2014