“Very Good BBQ”

Dining options: Late Night
Kitchener, Canada
“Very Good BBQ”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visiting from Canada so I don't pretend to be a BBQ expert. However our lunch was very enjoyable. Shared a large mixed plate of ribs, brisket and ham, potatoes and bread. Three sauces available.
Meaty ribs and very tender brisket. Very friendly staff and excellent customer service.
Would certainly return if in KC.

• Visited August 2013

North Port, Florida
“Best BBQ I've Ever Had, Returned a Second Time in the Same Trip”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is the way it should be done--a slow-smoked slab of ribs that tenderizes and imbues the meat with an unbelievably mouthwatering flavor.

I lived in KC for about 5 years in the early 1990s and never made it here at that time but always heard that it was the place to visit. We were in KC on vacation this year, and since we had a long talk about going to the restaurants we couldn't find anywhere else during our two weeks in the area (fyi, eating is one of the main past times in Kansas City), my husband said that we HAD to go to Gates & Sons on 12th & Brooklyn (especially pertinent since the one other excellent restaurant we had planned to visit, the Northland Pizza Factory, closed in September 2012--a real shame as that was the best pizza I ever had in my life).

You enter and stand in line cafeteria-style, ordering from the line instead of waiting until you get up to the register because by the time you get to the register to pay, your food is already done. We got a slab of ribs both times, plus drinks, and no sides or desserts because we didn't have room for anything else after splitting a slab of ribs between two of us.

Both times we went for lunch, the first time the restaurant was getting crowded with people coming from work for lunch, and the second time (a Monday at 11:00 am) the place had just opened and the work crowd hadn't arrived yet. Everyone there was very, very nice and polite--not only the staff but the other customers. People held the door open for you, they smiled and were friendly, said "please" and "thank you", and people were happy to be there. After my last two reviews about how rude the fellow guests were at the hotels we stayed at in Liberty, this seemed like an oasis of good manners and considerate behavior compared to all that other nastiness.

The ribs were out of this world. We ate them like we hadn't eaten in a week, just gnawing at every bite, scraping the bones clean with our teeth, stopping for a second or two for a sip of water before grabbing the next rib on the plate--no mealside chatter, no polite nibbling but taking hedonistic delight in eating real food made right. We had original sauce, which I've had before on other things since friends and family bought the sauce for use at home (available at local supermarkets), and although I'm not typically a fan of the spicy kind of BBQ sauce*, it complemented the ribs in a way I had never noticed when using it as a condiment on people's home cooking (*fyi, in Kansas City, the locals prefer spicy BBQ sauce, versus the sweet, sticky sauce that people from the east coast of the U.S. prefer--so KC Masterpiece down in Overland Park is NOT truly a Kansas City original compared to places like Gates or their main rival, Arthur Bryant).

The ribs come with sour pickle slices (the vinegar in the pickles helps with digestion of all that protein), and slices of white bread to mop up the rib juices and sauce left on the bottom of the plate. All we left on our plate was a pile of bones, nothing else survived.

The decor is cheerful but nothing fancy, booths and tables, and ceiling fans linked together running by pulleys. On our first trip one of the restaurant workers came by to make sure we had everything we needed and took the time to chat with us about our meal, how we couldn't find real BBQ like this where we live in Florida, and had a really easy, friendly, welcoming conversation with us. These were the nicest people we met on our trip and between that and the excellence of the food, decided to come back one more time right before catching our plane back home.

• Visited June 2013
Wichita, Kansas
“Dissappointed”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I had always heard about Gates BBQ and during a weekend trip to KC I put it down as a must do. Unfortunately we had went to Jack Stack and Oklahoma Joe's first and of the 3 Gates by far came in 3rd. The sauce they used on the meat was much to much like a spaghetti sauce (too tomatoey). The ribs were full of fat and grissle and I didn't enjoy it. It was very busy and I felt extremely rushed to order (you order at the counter and not your table). Also, of the three BBQ joints we visited Gates was the most over priced. I was hoping for better. Sorry.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank reppinJC
Atlanta, Georgia
“Keeps me coming back!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Everytime I visit Kansas City I have to stop at Gates FIRST! The staff is always friendly, the prices are reasonable and the atmostphere is great.
I haven't tried everything on the menu yet, but I'm approaching. Beef on Bun is my dish of choice :)

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank MrsKing2U
michigan
“First BBQ in KC”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I really liked the atmosphere and the burnt end meat itself. I did not like the bun. The bun falls apart and is just not a good bread. I liked the pickles, they are different from Arthur Bryants. In my taste test between this place and Bryants I liked the burnt ends better here. The beans are expensive and average. The meal was more expensive than Bryants. I would eat here again but probably overall liked A.B. better.

Visited June 2013