“Dissappointed”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I had always heard about Gates BBQ and during a weekend trip to KC I put it down as a must do. Unfortunately we had went to Jack Stack and Oklahoma Joe's first and of the 3 Gates by far came in 3rd. The sauce they used on the meat was much to much like a spaghetti sauce (too tomatoey). The ribs were full of fat and grissle and I didn't enjoy it. It was very busy and I felt extremely rushed to order (you order at the counter and not your table). Also, of the three BBQ joints we visited Gates was the most over priced. I was hoping for better. Sorry.

1  Thank reppinJC
There are newer reviews for Gates Bar-B-Q

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Everytime I visit Kansas City I have to stop at Gates FIRST! The staff is always friendly, the prices are reasonable and the atmostphere is great.
I haven't tried everything on the menu yet, but I'm approaching. Beef on Bun is my dish of choice :)

1  Thank MrsKing2U
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I really liked the atmosphere and the burnt end meat itself. I did not like the bun. The bun falls apart and is just not a good bread. I liked the pickles, they are different from Arthur Bryants. In my taste test between this place and Bryants I liked the burnt ends better here. The beans are expensive and average. The meal was more expensive than Bryants. I would eat here again but probably overall liked A.B. better.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stopped by one of Gates' several locations. They definitely have a "system" to get your order and get you through the line. Unfortunately, if you don't know the "system" they get a little testy with you.

Gates has a broad variety of BBQ'd meats to choose from as well as a number of sides. I went with traditional pork spare ribs and a side of coleslaw. Their is a sauce bar to choose your sauces from. They have original to spicy.

I must say that I enjoyed the ribs. Great flavor, reasonably tender and meaty. The only let down was I tend to prefer either having my sauce cooked into my ribs or at least a bit thicker sauce. Gates' sauces were much thinner and therefore didn't cling the ribs, my fingers...yes.

I would go back to Gates and try some of their other varieties of smoked meats. It is definitely worth a stop for a good BBQ experience.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Being from Memphis area, I've heard about KC bbq, but never tried it. On the way to Omaha we googled to find a place to experience it, and chose Gates (Brooklyn Ave) because it's proximity to I-70.

First let me say, I know people are as passionate about the BBQ as they are their sports teams. Everyone's opinion is subjective, and is always right!

That being said, I have never had anything like this burnt end sandwich. Incredible! Savory, salty, smokey. Lots of "burnt" chunks chopped up in it. Sauce (sweet,tangy, with a hint of heat) is on top, but doesn't overpower it. You taste the smokiness of the meat, complimented by tang of sauce. Little on the greasy side, but IS bbq. Not to mention a HUGE serving - covered the plate. Three hours later my wife had to tell me to shut up talking about this sandwich. It was that good!

She had the chicken, which had been smoked and was covered with sauce. It was good, too - but hardly compared.

I'm typically not a baked bean guy, but I didn't leave any in the cup! Dark, bbq saucy, with chunks of meat for flavor. Slaw was ok. Could have chosen pasta or potato salad as well.

On the way back tried Arthur Bryant's burnt end sandwich, for me it didn't compare at all. Though a lot of people rave about it. Will definitely be back to Gates, next time I'm through KC.