“Average BBQ...Good Service”

Dining options: Late Night
Los Angeles, California
“Average BBQ...Good Service”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The BBQ is ok, the burnt ends were very fatty & they don't have pulled pork (only sliced meats). The beans were ok (Jack Stack's are SO much better). The one big highlight was the friendly service! Definitely better choices in KC!

• Visited December 2012

Kansas City, Missouri
“Off Night; but we go often and it is usually Pretty Good”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our recent night was not indicative of their normal goodness. Gates is usually one of our go to bbq's for out of town guests. The wait at Jack Stack this night was 75 minutes and we were tired and ready to eat. We split the large platter and everything was a little dry and cold. I usually get the Pork on Bun to stay and it is incredible! At any rate,...we will definitely go back and will still take guests there.

Visited November 2012
missouri
“Great as always”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Hadn't been here in a couple of years, since we live 100+ miles away, but were glad we stopped for lunch. You always feel like you're being rushed to order as you stand in line, but that's the way it's always been for whatever reason. Don't sweat it, and take your time because it's worth it, and that's the only negative here. The sandwich( BBQ beef) was great becuase we love their tangy red sauce. I think others like Bryant's because their sauce is different, but we like Gates the best. Also, love their fries, which I don't say about many places. They have a lot on their menu, bit I always stick to what I know and love. We were at their older location by the Paseo and I also noticed the area had been cleaned up quite a bit from when I first went there. This location also had a cozy bar attached and the bartender and patrons were all friendly, though we were the only causcasians in there (which is the way it should be). Anyway, thanks Gates, or not changing!f

Visited November 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mmmm...tasty”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Gates works for me. The smell lures me in from blocks away. The calling order service always gives me a bit of a jump -- but the taste is worth it. Almost always there is good tunes and nice table service after you order.

Visited October 2012
Overland Park, Kansas, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yum!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Gates has very good Burnt End Sandwiches!! We take all out-of-town visitors here. Some people said to expect the order-takers would be rude (part of the "act"), but we have never experienced anything but kindness and helpful workers!

Visited November 2011