“Longtime fan”

Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I've been a Winstead's fan all my life. They use good meat, for one thing. When they say steakburgers, they mean it. Patties are thin and fully cooked. Cherry Limeades and chocolate cokes. Shakes and fries. This is the only carry-out burger I will eat.

1  Thank Saintgeek

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Just like you remember- spacious and comfortable diner atmosphere, with yummy old fashioned burgers, thick shakes, and great fries and onion rings. We always have very good service here, and return again and again because the kids (and adults) approve!

2  Thank Anne C
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stopped here after the Nelson Art Gallery. Fifties diner complete with hand made malts that are amazing. My 12 year old loved this place. The burgers were nothing special but the fries made up for them. Atmosphere goes a long way

1  Thank misslondon09
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We hit this Winstead's for a busy Saturday lunch, and the placed was packed and buzzing. We were quickly seated and just as quickly greeted by our waitress with glasses of ice water. Orders were taken shortly, and the orders were out in good time, especially considering the crowd.

Steakburgers are the thing here, and they are thin and fried hot and crispy. The girls got the "50/50" --- a side for people who can't decide between fries and onion rings, it come with a good portion of both, and both were good ... our wimpy girls should have SHARED an order. The shakes are thick and frosty, served in classic tall "real glass" malted glasses ... and the girls could have shared one of them, too, as they are pretty big and rich. For non-steak-eaters, they have a grilled chicken sandwich, which is pretty well presented, if a bit puny for the price (a couple or three times as much as a steakburger). I noted that they also had tuna salad, but none of us tried that.

If you are going out for burgers and shakes in KC, you ought to hit Winsteads.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This was the first time I had been to this restaurant. The waitress was rude. Brought me a cup of water half full no straws. Didn't ask if I wanted anything else to drink! Later brought the food out and the check not even stopping to ask if we needed or wanted anything else!! I saw as the staff sat together in the back and talked the whole time instead of assisting us properly. This was the first and last time I'll be caught in this establishment.