“Cheesy and Greasy Local Mexican Restaurant Tradition”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Sombrero Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #675 of 1,452 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The previous reviewers painted a pretty accurate picture of El Sombrero. It's local spot that natives have been visiting for years.

Interior decor is kinda old and basic, but the staff more than makes up for it. They're especially friendly and down-to-earth, making you feel like you've visited long-lost family members rather than an impersonal restaurant.

Chips and salsa started out the meal and the chips were freshly fried--very greasy but satisfying if that's what you want (we did!). My husband said the salsa was exactly the same as it had been years ago; we were served both a mild/medium and hot and we both ate the hot one, thinking it was more of a medium than a true hot. He had 4 beef tacos with cheddar cheese and he remembered them tasting better a few decades ago. I had the Appetizers Specials that consisted of two beef tacos that I had with cheddar cheese (you can get it with parmesan instead) and a small serving of beef nachos with cheese sauce. The tacos were o.k. to moderately good, really filled with meat which was good, but the shells were a little soggier than I prefer. The nachos were really what I wanted and those hit the spot, between the grease and the cheese sauce. I scraped the plate clean (which would make a lot of people laugh because I'm normally eating salads and organic food, never all the deep fried food that we had on this trip). We were there with relatives and I don't remember what they ate or their response, except that they seemed to like what they ate. No room for dessert. In general I thought this was a decent value.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

Great cheese enchiladas with red sauce! Great nachos and pork burritos

Reviewed November 18, 2011

My colleague and I heard about this restaurant from some of our coworkers and decided to try it out. We were not disappointed! The restaurant inside is kind of rundown, but the food was very good. I was surprised they allowed smoking in the restaurant with their KC, MO address, but luckily for us no one was smoking while we were eating. The service was excellent and our waitress was very upbeat was able to give us some suggestions for our lunch. Over all a good experience!