“Fine Dining at as reasonable price! ”
Review of Novel Restaurant

Novel Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 1,620 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I came here for dinner and we absolutely loved it! Everything we ate was delicious! The staff were professional and attentive and the venture is modern minimalist with great ambience. We also found the prices to be very reasonable priced for the food and service. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed March 15, 2019

Novel is a little off the beaten path located south of Kansas City's downtown core but very much worth the trek. The attractive, modern dining room is most welcoming and overlooks the open concept kitchen. The menu is chock full of interesting selections - something for everyone. The appetizers were excellent - I absolutely loved the pork toast (fried pork and ham topped with a generous portion of avocado) and the cavatelli pasta (lamb sausage, mint and sheep's cheese) got rave reviews. My wife claims that her scallops entree were the best she's ever had (served with sweet potato puree and Thai chilli), the lamb was excellent and the salmon good (perhaps a little too much on the pink side for my liking). The wine list had some very well priced selections. The service was excellent and the prices reasonable. A great dinner!

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed November 29, 2018 via mobile

This was our 2nd visit to Novel first time in the new location. We really enjoyed our first visit. So decided to give it a go again. We each had an appetizer, the rabbit sausage with burgundy snails in pastry, very nice. Fairly mild flavor all around. My wife had the gougeres with peekytoe crab, good. Nice crab flavor just the right amount of cream cheese and seasoning.

The best dish of the night was the tagliatelle pasta. Super flavorful, bolognese made with pork, veal and sweetbreads. I had this as a small dish. Should have had it as my main course. Instead I went with the rack of lamb. Bad choice, it was way under cooked, and I like my steak, lamb med rare at most. My bad, I should have sent it back. My wife had the ravioli, she didn’t like it much. I had a taste or two, it was just ok. We had dessert also, the butterscotch pie, it was ok. Frankly would have preferred more butterscotch. My wife had the upside down pineapple carrot cake. It was good. So overall it was some hit and some miss. Maybe the 3rd time would be the charm?

1  Thank Harrypotter27
Reviewed November 27, 2018

Two year ago our visit to the old location of Novel was not too pleasant. Indeed, now at the new desolate spot it is newer but the usual fathoms remain. It is noisy, the unsanitary barren tables, the wall tiles , concrete floor and overcrowding contribute to it as well as a cacophonous and superfluous open kitchen.
The menu is practically a carbon copy of the old one. The best item, with elements of originality may be the crispy egg . Three of us ordered the duck breast and all came cold and may be marinated with some sort of oriental sauce the left a fishy flavor.It could be the worst duck I ever had. A serving of scallops that once the taxes and tip were added amounted to $ 12 per piece was unspectacular. We did not try dessert because they were all keeping with local tradition, heavy.
The service , except for the wine server were not very friendly and the hostess/ receptionist utterly ornery.
The wine list remains weird and expensive , about three to four times mark up.
Tripadvisor has a weird way of classifying restaurants and if this passes for fine dining one wonders what they would do with a real Michelin starred one! On the other hand, it may have something to do with writers whose reference point seems to be steak houses which abound in this section of TA's page. Yet, looking at the check boxes in the review space, they define fine " fine dining" monetarily, expensive. Little to do with quality of food or service

2  Thank martinezcm
Reviewed November 13, 2018 via mobile

My friend and I ate here before attending a concert. Our waiter Nick was wonderful. He was mindful of our time constraints, and he had great wine and food suggestions. Everything was delicious, from appetizer to dessert. We had the lamb and the pork chop. Yum yum!