“A wonderful experience!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We've been the Novel three times now. Each experience has been lovely. The food is excellent, and always changing. They make great use of the best of the season. The service and atmosphere have also been great.

1  Thank zip66215

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had world class food in this funky little restaurant. Right off, you need to take a look at the menu because the interplay of ingredients here are what make the menu items. Let's start with the bread made at a bakery in the neighborhood - a slice of olive and rosemary; and a slice of quinoa. On to the starters - I had the carrot soup and my husband had the sardine salad. As a vegetarian, I have tried many a carrot soup and most are serious disappointments but here the soup shined with lime, coconut, charred eggplant and cilantro. If the excellence stopped here we both would have been happy but it kept on coming. I need to mention at this point that we had an outstanding and well informed waitress who knew exactly how to guide us to the right thing and deliver service at the right moment. Having had a recent experience with mediocre gnocchi, I was hesitant to order it. Thankfully our waitress convinced me. She also helped guide my husband to the somewhat spicy lamb which he loved. The only sad part to this story is that we were too full for dessert. But I guarantee you the next time I am in Kansas City I will be back to finish that chapter of the "Novel".

1  Thank Nick G
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I talked the wife into trying this place, based on all the good buzz. And the apps and entrees were very good (loved the pork chop and the softshell crab), but we were there on a weekend, and we were in and out in an hour, which hey, for $160 seemed way too rushed. The meal overlapped the apps, which is a big no-no in the wife's book.

1  Thank winetast3
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I don't know where to begin, the fantastic service, the delicous food, or the neat old home - it was all just perfect! Our party of four, normally wine-drinkers, broke from tradition and sampled the truly top notch unique beer menu. The soft-shell crab ravioli was the table favorite of the appetizers we sampled (although the artichoke salad and the pig's head pie were tasty as well). The servers were extremely knowledgable about the menu - the sign of a great restaurant. Can't wait for my next visit.

1  Thank JLCLJC
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We opted to give Novel a try for our most recent date night - it ended up being a "Novel" idea and experience!

Located on the west side of downtown, Novel is an ecclectic old home turned into a chic eatery. We dined in a small room upstairs with 2 other groups - the noise was perfect for conversation and the intimacy of the room added to our date night.

Our server was very friendly and more importantly, knowledgeable about the menu. She recommended the perfect bottle of Rose wine to get us started and also offered her thoughts on the menu.

For starters, we opted to split the artichoke salad and the soft shell crab. The salad was simple, but delicious, while the soft shell crab was well above average, wrapped in ravioli.

For entrees we went with the roasted chicken and the ricotta gnocchi. The roasted chicken was the winner of the evening - both white and dark meat perfectly prepared and served on a bed of a grilled rice cake with scallions and radishes, then topped off with an egg yolk! I am not one to order chicken at such an ecclectic restaurant, but I am glad I did! One of the best chicken dishes I have had in recent memory! The gnocchi was just okay - nothing was unenjoyable about it, but there was nothing to write home about.

The waitress had also recommended the pork chop and diver scallops for what it is worth - she seemed to know what she was talking about!!!

Novel is definitely a place we would go explore again - especially seasonally, as I believe the menu changes!

If you are looking for a "Novel" experience - head thay way!

2  Thank rdubbs08