“Gave this place a 1 because that is the lowest offered!”
Review of Top of the Crown

Top of the Crown
Ranked #968 of 1,452 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Bar
Reviewed April 7, 2013

They try to give you the K.C. baseball experience here, some memorabilia as you enter and astro turn on the bar, tables made from coolers, etc….

I had the pulled pork sandwich with “local made” chips, if those are the best chips they can get or make locally, they should purchase them the same place they did the pork for the sandwich, at Sam’s club or other supermarket. Being K.C. I was looking forward to trying some BBQ, I know it was in the airport but I only had 45 minutes on a layover and having similar stops on previous trips in Memphis and Dallas, thought the BBQ here would have a chance to be decent, I could not have been more wrong.

The bartender Alan called everyone “young man or young lady” like he was trying to be funny, at least it seemed to entertain himself.

Back to the food, if this is similar to the food they serve at Kaufman stadium, no wonder they do not sell out. If the owners of the ball club try this place, I believe they would shut it down. My sandwich the bun was cold, right out of the bag, the pork was barely warm with little to no BBQ sauce (I had to ask for more, it did have a bit of flavor and was not bad) and the chips were awful no seasoning or salt on them, cold and overcooked. On the bright side, my coke was properly carbonated and had a sufficient amount of ice to keep it cold while drinking it. If my stop was indicative of this place, the only thing it has going for it is location.
After 35 years of flying into different airports, I finally went into K.C. if I ever have to fly there again, I will wait in the check-in area and hope they have something on the plane to snack on or purchase, the food will definitely be no worse than what I had here and there is a VERY good chance it will be better. My BBQ pork sandwich and chips with a coke ran $15.00.

This place is far from “Top of the Crown”, from my visit, it deserves to be flushed down!!!

As for the airport, it is a terrible design; the worse I have ever been inside of. Each gate area is separated into “pods” of 3 to 6 gates, each with a little store and restaurant/bar, to go from one set of gates or to a different restaurant you have to leave the secured area, walk to the place you want to go, enter security (bags S-rayed again even though you have already been through this at least once that day), eat or walk the terminal, then when ready to go back to your flight do it all over again. I do not know who designed this airport, but they should have their architecture license revoked immediately!