“Late night food”

Cuisines: Soups
Lee's Summit, Missouri
“Late night food”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

They have great food here. We always get the breakfast sandwiches after a few drinks. I get mine without gravy but everyone else gets them sovered. Great local restaurant and I hear their lunch is great.

Visited October 2013

Illinois
“Diner's Drive Ins and Dives, this would be the latter””
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I almost did not eat here. The place was nothing short of filthy. But, I figured if Guy Fieri could eat here, so could I. Glad I did. I had hand made ravioli with some really good Italian Sausage. The food is great and the people are interesting, but the cleaning crew had the day (probably month) off.

• Visited August 2012
Kansas City
“THE Gold Standard for Biscuits and Gravy!”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Okay, in my review for Starpoint Cafe in nearby Gladstone, MO, I mentioned my benchmark for a breakfast joint is biscuits and gravy, and that only ONE place was better than Starpoint. THIS is the place.

YJ's is a hipster joint. Three tables inside, four tables outside, and a very artsy-looking, pierced and tattooed crowd which might be enough to make you flee. However, you should resist that urge, as I have never met a jerk there, and you will find yourself joining these people, in communal praise of the cuisine.

I first visited YJ's based on a cop's recommendation. The officer should be promoted immediately. For late-night fare, there is no comparison. The biscuits and gravy here, set a new benchmark. The biscuits are substantial (as they should be to withstand the heft of the gravy) and slightly sweet. That sweetness perfectly compliments the gravy which is the most-perfectly seasoned blanket of white that has ever graced biscuits. The gravy has no shortage of sausage, and is spicy! I don't mean, spicy for the likes of Denny's customers, I mean spicy enough to get the attention of a guy who eats jalapenos as a side dish. The gravy is spicy enough to caution those who cannot tolerate heat, to try something else, though, I hate to do so.

So good is the B&G, that I have only tried one other menu item. The breakfast sandwich, with eggs, bacon, and I believe sauteed onion was damn good, and better still when doused with that spicy, sausage-laden elixir.

YJ's does have other things, though for the life of me, I'm not sure where you would find a menu or menu board, and you don't want to look out of place by asking for one. You can ask the cashier what he or she likes, and they are friendly enough to assist. I did snatch a bite of my buddy's mocha-chocolate cake (in-house product, I think), and it was pretty remarkable. That said, I would still pass on the cake, and order another round of B&G.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank KCTiger
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Experience”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place truly is a “snack bar.” You walk in, there are 3 tables and some outdoor seating that is fabricated from some type of dilapidated 1960’s Midwestern home. The servers are friendly and very hippy-ish and you walk in and they will tell you what they are cooking today. I had a chicken and feta dinner with coos-coos cooked with apples, a nice side of hummus and pita chips and a tasty cucumber salad. The spices this places uses are eclectic and do not seem to be very regional. The food was simply delicious. I had a great meal and a delicious Latte to go afterward. I highly recommend this place but dress down. Bon Appétit’

• Visited October 2012
Abilene, Kansas
“Great little hole in the wall”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We visited YJ's with adult family members following a wedding reception. Their biscuits and gravy are awesome! The gravy has a definite kick to it. Perfect late-night breakfast! Not a lot of seating inside, but at least they had outdoor tables. Not the cleanest place, but that seems to add to its charm.

• Visited April 2012