“Bowls that nourish the soul”

Blue Koi Noodles & Dumplings
Ranked #92 of 1,415 Restaurants in Kansas City
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Lawrence, KS
“Bowls that nourish the soul”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I really can't imagine going to this place in the summer because the menu has such a heavy focus on rich nourishing soups and stews. Yeah, I know that's stupid but when it's a cold winter day this place satisfies like no other.

Carnivores and vegetarians will love this place because menu items that are vegetarian are clearly marked and they'll gladly accommodate menu modifications when they can.

The menu is simple and primarily consists of noodles or rice in either a dish or a soup bowl depending on the combination. On first glance I was disappointed at the prices on the menu: $10 and up for a bowl or rice or noodles. When my feast arrived I couldn't believe the portion size. It was huge. I mean really huge. Warm, satisfying and absolutely delicious. That's another reason why it's a winter meal rather than summer. Summer reminds me of "light" eating and these meals are anything but light. Rich and flavorful is the theme here. Even the vegetarians soups are made from a earthy mushroom broth that could easily hold it's own against a umami laden beef broth.

The "awesome" sauce (chili/garlic sugar) goes great with the tofu appetizers and try, at least, to save room for dessert because the wonton cheesecakes are a must try. Speaking of awesome, the service and atmosphere is equally as awe worthy. Every meal I've gotten is beautifully presented and is extremely prompt and friendly.

I love sitting by the windows and look out on rainbow boulevard seeing frost form on the windows while my soul and spirit is nourished here.

• Visited February 2013

kansas city, mo.
“The real scoup from Mr. Battaglia”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

First impressions cute, small menu which gave me high expections on a good meal but the food was average. I had the special a sea food soup. It had a great sea food brouth but felt short with the imitation crap and scallops. Hand made egg rolls were good but skimpy on the dipping sauce. I would had gladly paid five dollars more for real crap and scallops and a little more sauce for my hand made egg rolls. I was impressed with the bubble tea, It was unique and different. This restuarant is average I probably would not go back again.
The real scoup from Chef Battaglia

• Visited February 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“We are regulars at Blue Koi”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Everytime my wife and I eat here, we appreciate the staff and food more and more! The Seafood Noodle Soup and China Moon are absolutely outstanding and our favorites!

• Visited January 2013
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
“Chinese with a midwest twist”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My last visit prompted me to dine with my family visiting us for the holidays. Blu Koi's unique with its menu especially for vegetarians who like spicy mix with hints of Mexican in Fire Hot entree tofu rectangles cooked with coconut and perfect textured. Their soups are one of the best among Chinese in the local KC area served with fresh vegetables and spiced just right. The bubble tea is a delectable beverage especially the Sweet Taro or the Lychee. Appetizers can be sumptuous and for a vegetarian choices can be creative at request. Noodles are soft and perfect add more Sriracha to kick up the heat. The lettuce wraps this time were a disappointment, with changed recipe (can't fool your taste buds) and lettuce has shrunk is size compared to last year. All said and done, Blu Koi will always be my favorite to treat my family and visiting friends from around the world.

• Visited January 2013
“Best place for tofu addiction!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Fresh ingredients you can taste! Fried tofu is phenomenal with their ''awesome sauce''. Handmade noodles taste authentic. Basil chicken comes with fresh basils and big chunks of savory chicken. Chinese pot roast comes with savory, tender beef and the broth is the most authentic Chinese I've ever tasted. Dumplings are good too. A bit pricey, but is truly high-quality Chinese food.