“Resting on laurels?”

The Oak Room
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Oak Room restaurant diners savor some of the finest food Kansas City has to offer plus enjoy an attentive, knowledgeable wait staff and awesome view of the Country Club Plaza. Among the culinary treats awaiting diners are: Delectable seasonal dishes made with locally and organic grown ingredients; Tantalizing desserts featuring in-house home-made ice creams; A sophisticated wine list with over 150 international and domestic vintages. Total restaurant and bar concept change to American Slang Modern Brasserie will occur mid-May, 2017. Updated information, images, concept and relevant information will be posted at that time.
Reviewed June 1, 2012

NIce atmosphere, lovely view of the Plaza. Food was mediocre. Servers we nice and welcoming but not very good at the service part.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Don't you dare miss Sunday Brunch. The Oak Room is a great place for a cup of coffee, or a sandwich at lunch. But it is in it's glory on Sunday morning.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I was in town for a conference and we ate lunch here. It was pretty good. Kinda expensive but not bad for the portions. The only draw back was the service. She was nice when we seen her. We were all out of drinks for a while before she came back. But other than that it was good.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

We had a reservation for the expensive ($45 per adult) Easter Brunch in the Oak Room. For reasons unknown to us, our family group of 6 was seated in a corner of the restaurant as far from the buffet as possible. The table was backed by a curtain that apparently was used to separate the diningroom from the service area. The curtain was only partially closed so our primary view was of the service area. When we went to the buffet, I picked up a plate and found it covered with mashed potatoes on the bottom. The buffet choices were not extensive and several were missing serving pieces.
I asked the hostess why we were seated at such an awful table and she said she didn't know, but agreed the table was bad. I told her I wanted to speak with the manager. When I told him we were disappointed with the table, the food and the whole experience and would never come back, he said he would take care of our bill ($257) if we promised to come back the next year. I could have lied and told him we would come back, but I didn't. I told him the truth: we'll never go back. After that, he had nothing else to say and we left.
Our experience: overpriced, poorly managed, and mediocre food.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

It was nice/quiet and very professional staffing and would eat there again anytime I stay at the Intercontential