“Great Ambiance”

Savoy Grill
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I ate at the Savoy Grill for my birthday this year as my husband had never eaten there. The Savoy Grill is in an old, historic hotel and from the pictures I have seen, not much has changed over the years. We were lucky enough to sit in the Truman booth, which was the favorite booth of President Truman when he would come to KC. It was a good booth, as you get to see a most of the restaurant. The menu is a mix of steak and seafood, and both my husband and I got seafood dishes . I will admit that it is definitely not the best seafood in town, but overall was very good. The service is also very good, we did not wait very long for anything. Like I said in the beginning, you go to the Savoy for the ambiance more than the food. If you have never been, I would highly recommend going at least once.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I would never eat here again. The food was terrible. Maybe I should have gotten a steak because they can't do seafood. It was like a burned up mess.

1  Thank nilnews63
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I wish I could write a more positive review but it just isn't going to happen. This is a venerable restaurant in downtown Kansas City, established in 1903. Unfortunately the menu seems to have been established around 1973.
There are fish and beef options--we chose from the fish. Entrees include: salad--pretty fresh but nothing special, vegetable or potato--steamed veg was better than you got in the elementary school cafeteria. The basket of assorted breads (dinner roll, Melba toast, cinnamon roll) were unremarkable and they had been sitting out so the cinnamon rolls were a bit dry. Many of the fish entree choices are breaded and or fried. I got the crab au gratin--oddly presented dish: coral colored, watery soup/sauce with blobs of cheese goop and bits of crab sloshing about. The guys got the lobster thermidor- the entire lobster with a breaded mixture added to the meat. The broiled salmon was fine but not served with a hollandaise sauce-more like mayo with mustard. The desserts were the basics--cheesecake, parfaits, ice cream, etc. I got the chocolate mousse served in a parfait glass-light and fluffy not dark, rich and chocolatey. The entree prices are mostly between mid-$20's and mid-$30's (some are much more) and for that, the food quality should be better.
The wait staff makes a nice appearance in their white serving jackets and metal ID badges. The service was a bit rushed-wanting to remove plates before you were quite done.
Bring a jacket, the air conditioning vents may be old but they a large and can really blast out the cold air!
There is interest from a developer to rehab the building--restaurant and hotel. It's a wonderful piece of history and would be a great asset to Kansas City to have the current restaurant be as impressive as its past.

1  Thank Pilot V
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Dark wood. Waiters in white coats. White linen table clothes. Quiet! Menu choices not found just anywhere!
Here is a place to eat the highest quality foods, be served by professionals who know how to take care of you. Amazing! Also expensinve

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is, I believe, the oldest continuously operating restaurant in Kansas City. I have been to this restaurant many times over the years and it still remains on my "must see" list every time I visit Kansas City. You must experience its dark walnut paneling and its Presidents' booth - Number 4 - which hosted Presidents Harding, Truman, Ford and Reagan. Oh, did I mention that the food is great, especially the soup and the fish dishes.
The Savoy history states that a 1938 recording of "Stompin' at the Savoy," by Bennie Goodman and Count Basie, was located and now hangs in The Savoy's Bed and Breakfast dining room.