“Bad Night”

Cross street: J.C Nichols
Lansing, Kansas
“Bad Night”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Dinner for two. Service average. Food average. Al Fredo sauce gritty. Pasta good. Not many diners. More vacant tables than expected.

• Visited July 2012

Shawnee, Kansas
“Great Service, Disappointing Food”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Loved our waitress - pleasant, helpful, attentive. The view of the park and fountain was nice. Unfortunately, the food was poor. Caprese salad was made with unripe tomatoes, however the mozzarella on the salad was very good. White chicken pizza was tasteless. House salad was forgettable. Worst of all, the Death by Chocolate cake was awful. Throw in a gnat that just wouldn't leave us alone, and we just won't be going back.

• Visited July 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
“Italian American”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

OK for pizza or spaghetti. Average food and service.

Visited December 2011
Louisville, KY
“My new Gold Standard for dining: five-dot excellence in every category.”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

While in Kansas City on a business trip, I visited this establishment just two doors down from my hotel, expecting something at least somewhat decent. What happened over the next hour was perhaps the ** best dining experience ** I've had in nearly a decade.

I walked in at about 6:30 on a Tuesday night, and was seated indoors (it was nearly 100 degrees), yet still overlooking the southern end of the park with a good view of the JC Nichols Fountain. The server, Matt, took my drink order, a Negroni (equal parts Campari/gin/sweet vermouth, for those who don't know), as I had noted the presence of Campari at the bar as I walked past. As he returned with my beverage, I was ready with my order: sauteed artichoke hearts for an appetizer and Spaghetti Diavolo as the entree.

After a short while and a couple of sips of Negroni, the artichoke appetizer was presented. Unlike the greasy, cheesy mess one usually expects with this sort of dish, the artichoke hearts were sauteed in a light lemon/wine sauce with garlic and basil and served with melba-like slices of toasted bread. It was very tasty, and not heavy-feeling at all.

Matt brought out a couple of nicely seasoned breadsticks a short time later, with a small platter of olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled over a mound of freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese for dipping. One bit and I was spoiled; I'll never look at an Olive Garden breadstick the same way again.

Just as I was finishing up the last chunk of artichoke, the pasta arrived. Spaghetti Diavolo is a combination of shrimp and pan-seared scallops, tossed in a piquant marinara and served over al dente spaghetti. The kitchen will gladly substitute linguine or other pasta, but the normally pedestrian spaghetti somehow works wonderfully in this dish. The sauce was not greasy, and not loaded with cream either. For a garlic and spice lover such as myself, it was the perfect confluence of Italian flavors.

Finally, Matt brought around a dessert tray, and I settled on the Morto Nel Cioccolato, or "Death By Chocolate" cake. I was at first hesitant, as I thought it might be anticlimactic to the superlative spaghetti dish I had just finished, but my reservations about ordering it disappeared with the first two bites. The first bite let me know that the cake was baked fresh in-house, and not shipped in frozen like other nearby upscale places. The second made me happy-happy: it was a spoonful of this unbelievably good chocolate-amaretto gelato.

All along, Matt kept my water filled just in time and was polite, friendly and deferential. Even more importantly, his course timing was 100% spot-on, an increasingly rare gift these days. As he was presenting the check, I asked to speak to the manager, to whom I expressed my complete satisfaction of every aspect of my experience. I know this sounds a bit melodramatic, but this was worth every bite, every word of praise, and well more than every cent I paid-- and I left well more than a 20% tip!

This was so good, in fact, that I told all my business colleagues the next day, and returned the very next night with a party of 10. Matt's similarly-named colleague Matthew served the ten of us with the same care, friendliness and timing as Matt had done with me alone, proving that the exemplary service is no fluke here.

In short, this place has rightfully earned my first-ever ***** five dots all around ***** -- both overall and in every individual TripAdvisor restaurant category. This absolutely blows away any and all nearby competition; why anyone would want to go to a national-chain Italian competitor after experiencing this is beyond comprehension. I cannot stress the following two words enough:

Highly Recommended.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank dXTC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Don't bother”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Ordered the flat-bread pizza -which I found in Kansas City with the exception of Seasons 52 is a very difficult concept for them to get. This "flatbread" was nothing more than a DiGiorno crust heaped with cheese and what ever was supposed to be on it -not crispy and very greasy. The bread sticks which proceeded it also tasted unnatural -like something made in a factory which they warmed up for us. My fellow diners ordered the lasagna -it was huge and tasteless and the cedar plank salmon, she liked it -but?? Considering Brio is around the corner and Cafe Trio is up the hill this was miserable and I'd be surprised if it continues. I would say skip it.

Visited June 2012