“Wunderbar!”
Review of Grunauer

Grunauer
Reserve with OpenTable
Grunauer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,428 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Baltimore
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Great place to go for dinner (though the food's a little heavy) and post-concerts downtown for happy hour! They have a great selection of German/Austrian beers and some great bartenders if you like mixed drinks. My only negative experience there was when I asked the server which of the German beers on draft he highly recommended and he pointed to the most expensive one (I think $14 for a pint?!), which was not even close to being mind blowing. I felt like he pointed to that just because it was the most expensive, since he didn't really have an explanation for why he loved it. Hence the 4 stars.

There are newer reviews for Grunauer

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Immediately seated a table for 9 on a Friday night without a reservation! All in our group were not so familiar with the menu items, but very much enjoyed the food they received. My children enjoyed the chicken and my beef goulash was excellent. I will get it again next time! Our server was excellent and the food arrived correct and hot. The staff did an excellent job. Great atmosphere, Could not ask for more!

1  Thank Raleigh198
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We were lucky enough to have beautiful weather so we sat outside in the biergarten, on the patio.

Our server was Katie and she was very attentive. I could understand if there was a delay in service because we chose to sit outside but this was not the case and our drinks stayed full and our food came out timely.

Katie was well versed in the menu and was able to steer us in the right direction when we got stuck on the appetizers and the main dish. My mother is of German descent and I grew up eating many of the dishes served at Grunauer's. The food was delicious and every bite had so much flavor. The meal brought back memories!

If you are ever in KCMO and looking for something yummy and not a typical chain restaurant, you have to try Grunauer's. You don't have to speak German as the staff will guide you. The portions are generous so you definitely won't leave hungry.

1  Thank Tajames333
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Went there with another couple, and we were all impressed. I had the Pork Scalapini and shared 3 different sausages as an appetizer with the table. The sauerkraut and mustard that came with the sausages was amazing. Best I've ever had. My main dish was excellent as well. I could have maybe used a little more meat, but, nothing to complain about.

The others had NY Strip, Pot Roast, and Pork Shank. Everyone liked their dishes quite a bit, but, my wife said the pot roast lacked flavor. Overall, great experience, something out of the ordinary, and we will definitely try it again in the future.

1  Thank PlzC
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

The resturant has a great atmosphere, coming from someone who lived in Germany for 9 years this was like going home for a few house. The beers are so wonderful and a fabulous selection. The food is delicious. I have not had ome thing on this menu that wasn't good. The espresso and cream pure heaven. The desserts definitely heaven sent. You can tell the menu items are made from scratch. This is more of a Bavaria style of food. Rich gravies and tender meats. My favorite restaurant in Kansas City. The best german restaurant by far here in this area. The servers are well educated on the menu and seem to speak Deutsch. However they are not super friendly, nice, but not what most of us are used to.

1  Thank beccamcfeeters