“Comfort food classic”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Come hungry! The food is very satisfying! The chicken is great but the chicken friend steak and gravy are the best, I can't help compare all other versions to Strouds, though others don't compare. Fixing are served family style so don't over the same potatoes and you'll get to try the others. To top it off are the cinnamon rolls . Then prepare for a nap!

2  Thank whalewatcher09

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have been going to Stroud's for over 40 years. I love fried chicken ! Yes, it's true it's different than years ago but it's still good. Chicken Betty was the best cook they ever had in my opinion. She was the grandma in the kitchen with the black cast iron skillets going on the stove. She was quite something else. The atmosphere is different than the original restaurant but if you want down home chicken dinners this is the place to go in K.C. Recommend !

1  Thank poppy119
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

This place used to be the best but over the last year or two the food quality has gone down hill. It's still better than your average fried chicken place, but don't expect the same place you saw on the Food Network a few years ago. I wish this want the case as my family used to go there at least once a month. The past couple visits though haven't been so good.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

From the moment you arrive at this quaint little restaurant, you have that feeling you're in for a treat. This place did not disappoint, in any way.

They specialize in fried chicken, and it shows. The flavors on the chicken were fantastic. We also sampled the mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, and cinnamon buns (one of the best foods I've ever had....ever!). They were all great and the portions were HUGE! They serve family style and must plan on another 1-2 people arriving at your table once the meal arrives.

The staff, including bartender, were all very nice and what you would expect from an authentic Southern style restaurant.

The wait time was not too bad for us as we showed up to the restaurant just after 6:00 PM. When we were leaving, the line looked a little longer. You should note the meal takes a little longer to get to your table, presumably they are making everything fresh, but the wait is worth it. Just don't fill up on bread and appetizers!

This was a great place and all of the other TA reviews hit the nail on the head!

1  Thank clwcpa
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Like many, I hold my Grandmother's cooking to the highest regard. Stroud's was the first time I've eaten fried chicken that came close to rivaling Grandma's. They serve the side dishes family style. Our table was covered with bowls of mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, french fries, and most importantly, cinnamon biscuits. There was more food than half of us could eat, so be sure to bring the leftovers home! The wait was an hour and a half for our party of 12 (including 5 under 7) but it was not an inconvenience at all. The restaurant is on a large piece of land with a few interesting buildings and a lovely lake to explore. There was an older gentleman playing piano and a waitress with a lovely voice singing between tables. It was a fantastic restaurant experience. I will not miss a return on any trips back to KC!

1  Thank bartmp827