“Good BBQ”

Ranked #33 of 1,489 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Description: A unique Kansas City experience, BB's Lawnside BBQ has been the place where BBQ Meets the Blues for more than 20 years.
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Found this place by googleing and saw it was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and decided to try it on our trip to KC. Not in the best neighborhood but the parking lot was packed. Walked in and the gal at the door told us it would be $10 cover charge. "To eat?" I asked and she said no, it was for the live music that started at 9pm. It was 7:30. I told her we didn't plan on being there at 9pm so she let us in with out paying the cover charge but said our waiter would add it to our bill if we were still there at 9. There are 4 rows of long tables and you just sit where ever there is an open spot. That is not my cup of tea. We ended up sitting at the bar which gave us more room and was quieter. The bartender was very friendly. I had burnt ends which were really good. Didn't care for the battered fries though. My husband had the meatloaf and it was really good too. He had different fries and I liked his better. All and all food was really good.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was our second visit (three years apart). Glad to see nothing has changed. The food is excellent and atmosphere quirky. We were lucky enough to catch a live jam session. Nothing better! This is a juke joint, so don't expect anything to be even remotely fancy. The staff is efficient and friendly; we can't wait to return.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We have been to BB's many times. They have live music 6 nights a week. Their BBQ is very good. Ribs are fantastic. They also have some unique dishes - BBQ meatloaf, smoked catfish.
They have different groups performing all during the week. All are good, some great.
Service is very good, also laid back.
This is a roadhouse kind of place. You sit at long tables, like picnic tables & you'll never know who you might sit next to.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Saw this place on DDD, was in town and decided to veer from the normal spot, Okie Joe's.
The atmosphere is not your usual BBQ place. Definitely an interesting place. Got there for lunch at 11, just in time! The crowd came in at a very steady pace and it filled up quick.
The food was really good. I had the porker and my coworker had the big Walter. That was definitely a meal in it's self. The big Walter has 4 meats mixed together. The pulled pork was moist and tender and good flavor. The sauces(2) were good also. They have an apple cider flavor to them.
The best part was the Cajun fries! They were great!
I will definitely be back on my next trip through!

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Came here for lunch to have BBQ other than Jacks. It was good, just not as good as Jacks. Had pulled pork sandwich regular size. A lot of tender meat. Not enough sauce but two good varieties on table. Loved the laid back atmosphere. Did not like the fried potatoes. Had the LA rice balls. Very good. Hubby had burnt ends. They were good but not as flavorful as Jacks. Would come for live music. Great friendly service.