“Not like I remember”

Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Savannah, Missouri, United States
“Not like I remember”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Succotash began in a humble hideaway in the Kansas City River Market. remember the food as fresh and playful, ie, lima bean hummus, fresh crispy salads, and a gorgeous multi-colored pastel cake with 10 or more layers.

Succotash has since moved to Dutch Hill in Midtown Kansas City. Either I have become jaded, or flavor just didn't follow to this new location. The setting is beautiful, but the novelty is gone. Breakfast was tasty, but most of the breakfast items appeared to be variations of the same ingredients. We ordered a "kitchen sink," which is a large combination of many things like eggs, potatoes, meat and sauce. Biscuits and gravy were pretty good. All-in-all, it was okay, but nothing to rave about.

When we left, the waitress gave us a couple of "free" brownies to try. They came out of the display fridge dry and absolutely tasteless. I think she was trying to get rid of them. Unfortunately, her generosity worked against her. I would be reluctant to order dessert there.

I might go back and try lunch some day. I hope the lima bean hummus is as good as I remember it when they served it down in the River Market. There are so many wonderful places to eat in Kansas City, I hesitate to spend time and money where I've had a less than stellar experience.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Jill C

COLUMBIA
“Fresh and Tasty”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

After being up far too long traveling Succotash was a great place to chill and be refreshed. The Cubano juice drink was awesome and if I could find a way to replicate it at home I would. It was also the best biscuits with sausage gravy I have had outside of the south. I would reccomend this eclectic eatery to anyone!

• Visited October 2012
Roeland Park, Kansas
“Not worth the trip”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Had heard positive things about Succotash which moved to a funky historic building on "hospital hill" from the River Market area. Unfortunately, on a recent visit for breakfast/brunch the seating was uncomfortable, the coffee was cold and the food was at best lukewarm. This might have been the result of a line-out-the-door crowd(?), but based on this visit I cannot in good conscience recommend it.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Jan F
New Braunfels
“Killer Breakfast!!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Wild blueberry pancakes, bacon, and eggs was great. Fun atmosphere, convenient parking. Wife had Kitchen Sink, it was incredible!!!

Visited September 2012
Climax Springs, Missouri
“I Love this Place”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My first visit to this wonderful Kansas City institution now on Holmes. Did not realize it had moved from the River Market area.
Fresh health food. their house salad is second to none. Fresh spring mix with lots of goodies on it and a great homemade dressing and very large size. The bread served with it was great. We also had the Tuna Melt, one of the best I have ever had. It was served with choice of a side we got the tomato and onion salad with vinegarette.
Service was very friendly and knowledgeable. Prices are really reasonalbe.
I will be back.