“Unhappy employees?” 2 of 5 bubbles

Outback Steakhouse
Ranked #857 of 1,400 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kidder, MO
“Unhappy employees?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is not my first experience eating at an Outback Steakhouse. I've eaten at ones in LA, MS, CO, KS, and TN. But, it was the worst!

My daughter and I arrived after the lunch rush (around 2 pm). The host gruffly asked how many in our party, then led us to a table. My 7 y.o. asked, "are they not allowed to smile?"

Our server was SLOW with everything. Slow to come with our drinks, slow with our order (another table's order arrived BEFORE ours and WE ordered before they did! They had a different server).

We consumed the entire loaf of bread waiting on our food to arrive.

I ordered the sirloin with coconut shrimp and sweet potato with NO CINNAMON!!!! I guess the cooks don't look too carefully at the ticket because guess they added to my sweet potato!!! CINNAMON. The steak was bland AND luke warm. I was not offered any steak sauce to help with "taste", either, nor did I see the server to ask him for something to help with choke it down. (A good steak does NOT require sauce, however)

My daughter ordered chicken fingers with french fries and chocolate milk. Since she had eaten so much bread (and colored all of the book WAITING for our food) she ate only a few fries. Although, the chicken fingers did look more appetizing than my steak!

We were not offered any drink refils, either.

I ordered a cheesecake, to go, and asked for boxes for our leftovers. We had to wait 7 minutes to get the boxes AND he'd forgotten our cheesecake (and our tab, too). So, another 4 mins passed before I could pay and LEAVE. When he finally brought the tab, he gave me the wrong one, too, so I had to track him down to let him know that we DID NOT consume $50 worth of food and drinks!

In the meantime, my daughter went to the restroom only to find the handicapped toilet was OVERFLOWING. I inspected the bathroom, just to make sure she wasn't seeing something that wasn't, and found it unclean-a bathroom like one would find in a gas station. YUCK.

Now I know why there is ONLY ONE Outback Steakhouse in the Northland! (as opposed to several Longhorn's & Texas Road Houses') I won't be coming back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Kansas City, Missouri
“good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a good place. I LOVE the blooming onion! It is amazing I defietly suggest it. Goood food. Good service, pretty fast

Russell, Kansas
“Yummy steaks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Is the service at this Outback Steakhouse--or any restaurant--perfect? No. That said, however, more often than not, the food has been outstanding and well worth paying for.

There have been times where I have been upset with the quality of my food, namely the steak being overdone, but whenever I said something afterward, they would do their best to make up for it, providing a voucher for a discount on my next bill or a free bloomin' onion. A lot of restaurants would not take that step to satisfy their customers.

I would recommend any of the cuts of steak, but especially the T-bone and the filet. Don't order more cooked than medium rare. Good steak loses its taste whenever you cook it took long.

Try the seafood dishes if you're not into steak. The lobster tails are first-rate whether grilled or steamed, and the salmon is tasty.

Also, this is one of the best options if you're staying near KCI. Otherwise, it's either fight the traffic into downtown or drive 35 minutes to St. Joseph.

If I have to choose one chain restaurant to eat at, I'm going to choose Outback whenever I can. I know what I'm getting, and it's good food, good food which fills me up. I don't understand the dissatisfaction.

• Visited March 2012
Overland Park, KS
“Sigh....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

And that's not a good sigh. Their Bloomin Onion is awesome, and usually the high point of my meals here. Been here several times and have to send my steak back every single time. Yeah, I like it a little more done than most people, but cook it like it's ordered. Our last visit - over a year ago - I sent it back three times. Everyone else had finished by the time I got mine the way I wanted. Haven't been back since. The steaks have a great flavor, they just need to cook them correctly.

Kansas
“average but still good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We made a trip to Outback after being on the hiway for 3 hrs, went in around 4:45pm on a friday night, nice atmosphere and very clean. The service was very good, mixed drinks not the best, must have been a rookie bartender..Steaks were not as I had before at different Outbacks, but were still very tasty other than they make their steaks with alot of different seasonings, which made them a bit too spicy for wife and I.We also had coconut shrimp,they were fantastic and big shrimp..wow..the best part of this meal.The steaks were still very good, but depends on your taste. I had some mushrooms on the side which were tasteless and terrible. Overall bill not bad with drinks and all...around $55-62...I didn't think that was too bad, I know Outback is a bit more pricey than other steak houses, Ive had their steaks before and they were the best.

• Visited July 2012