“Disappointed”

Jack Stack Barbecue - Martin City
Ranked #3 of 1,411 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nashville, Tennessee
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

THE Whole reason for me, to go to this restaurant was to try authentic KC barbecue. I was expecting a good smoky taste added to delicious meats. I was extremely disappointed.
The waitress seemed too busy and tended to be on the brusque side. I definitely had the feeling that she wanted us to hurry through our meal. She brought us a small little bowl of BBQ sauce for four people and didnt ask us if we would like more or different sauces or anything.
-Pork Ribs: St Louis style, not very tender, no smoky flavor, and definitely mot fall off the bone.
-Burnt Ends: I never had burnt ends before, so I admit I had no idea what to expect. They tasted like slightly burned chunks of roast beef -- tasteless, no smoky flavor. This was the worst of the meats I tried.
-Chicken: pretty tender, again, no smokey flavor. This was the best of the meats I tried, but at best was just average.
-Smoked sausage: absolutely flavorless
-Cole Slaw: good but not great
-Baked Beans: I looked up
A recipe for jack stack baked beans at home and made them before I came to KC. It was superbly better than what I was served at the restaurant.
-Cheesy potato bake: VERY good. The best thing I ate there.
-Sauces: Very disappointing. I could taste celery seed and tomato. They were largely tasteless compared to other sauces I've had at other BBQ restaurants
-ATMOSPHERE was ok, but hard to hear conversation from across the table
-Cost: would be reasonable for the amount of food if the BBQ taste was there. But frankly, I've had better bbq at some meat and three places, for considerably less money. I definitely will not go back!!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Rmbbqtour

Bennington, Nebraska
“Good, But Not My Favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We really enjoyed the Jack Flats downtown and decided to stop in to this one because we were south of KC. The wait on a Friday night around 6:30 PM was about 15 minutes. Service was excellent. The food was okay but not as good as we remembered from downtown. I love their coleslaw and pulled pork. The sliced brisket was tender but tasted like it had been in the freezer too long. We ordered some extra BBQ sauce to cover it over. Our server was excellent, ensuring our sweet teas were re-filled, etc. There are so many BBQ places in competition in KC that I doubt this one will get back on our list. No need to deal with pretty good, when there is great out there,

• Visited November 2013
Greenwood, Missouri
“Great, upscale BBQ joint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is my favorite of the Jack Stack restaurants. This is a great BBQ joint. You can't really go wrong with anything here, but two things I would recommend are the onion rings (a really crispy, crunchy, THICK coating with this onions; you can't eat just one) and the prime rib, rib. It's a HUGE single, very meaty, rib. I love to get a sample platter to try many different items. Now it is a sit down place, more upscale, and a little higher priced than a typical BBQ joint in KC, but it is very nice for a change. Every time I have been there, the food has been great

• Visited November 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
“Tasty barbeque”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We eat here often when we are in the Kansas City area and have eaten here for many, many years. The ribs, beef brisket and the burnt ends (beef and pork) are all tasty. They always serve plenty of French fries with the sandwiches, and the slaw is good. My dad also likes their beans. The onion rings are good, too, but if you have too many onion rings, you will be stuffed by the time you eat all of your dinner.

Service is normally very good here. It is a busy place, so if you don't want to sit around inside or outside waiting for a table, you should try to be there early (by 5 PM).

• Visited October 2013
“Anniversary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My family had my 25 anniversary lunch there. About 19 people present. The staff handled it well. They were friendly and the service was best. The food was good. Topped it off with a brownie fudge cake with ice cream. It was the bomb! We shared with the little kids in our group big hit! Will go again.

Visited October 2013