“Disappointed”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 16th
Transit: The Twelfth Street Bus has a stop directly in front of the restaurant.
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Classic KC steakhouse. My wife's filet and Mac and cheese was great. My ribeye was tough and cold. Server was loud and inattentive. Drinks not delivered until after soup served. No water or service for the first 10 to 15 minutes we were there. Will not return.

1  Thank Gary S

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

First time and last time eating at the Golden Ox last night. Overall, it was between fair to average. Interior is dingy and really showing its age. Service was hit or miss. Their Ceasar salad was very good. I had their signature ribeye and while tasty and cooked well, it was almost 1/4 unedible gristle. Loaded baked potato tasted like the bacon bits came out of a jar. I expected so much more food and service-wise for those high prices. There are much better places in KC to have a high-end steak experience with outstanding food and service (Capitol Grille, etc.) The Golden Ox is not it.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had our office Christmas party here. The place has been around forever, and looks prove it! The atmosphere and decorations are really outdated. It's a good thing the food was better the ambiance! I don't think it has been updated since it opened in 1900???
The staff was great, our waiter kept the drinks flowing and helped make the night more pleasant! It is definitely out in no where's Ville.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

My Mom and Dad used to save up to come here when they were in college in the early fifties. We bring my Mom back with us when we visit Kansas City for Thanksgiving. The steaks are top notch and Kelly, our waiter, was terrific. A steakhouse with a lot of history near the stockyards (now gone) with stories and photos of the area throughout. Just the kind of decor you would expect for a great steakhouse and lounge. A piece of the past to keep on going.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This place is old, but we expected as much when we went here before the horse show at Kemper Arena next to the Golden Ox. We started with the Calamari, which was acceptable - not great, but passable with a nice hot marinara sauce on the side. The Caesar salad was very nice. My 6 oz filet was cooked nicely - I ordered it medium rare and it was closer to rare. My companions ordered the porterhouse and the strip. These steaks were cooked medium-well, but we did not send them back because they had a good flavor. The strip was ordered "au poivre" which assumes a pepper sauce made with brandy and cream, but the sauce was very disappointing with no pepper or pepper flavor. We ordered onions with one of the steaks, and it came back with mushrooms. The "broccoli gratin" is nothing but steamed broccoli, cheez whiz and a sprinkling of bread crumbs. I ate it as it was, broccoli 'n cheez whiz, but I expected a classic gratin for these prices. We were not offered bread throughout the entire meal.

We won't come back. The steaks were ok, but KC has much, much better places to go for this kind of money. It reminded me of the Savoy in KC because it had so much history to it, and it used to be SO good, but it was just dirty and mismanaged. You could see the accumulation of dust between the banquettes and the wall. It makes you wonder how clean they keep the kitchen.