“great local steakhouse”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 16th
Transit: The Twelfth Street Bus has a stop directly in front of the restaurant.
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Great to dine at a stand alone, locally owned restaurant - these wonderful establishments are becoming more and more difficult to find.
The service from Paul was excellent - very attentive-
but not too much,
This establishment is very old-from the late 40's I believe-with a rich historic past -enjoy the wonderful pictures of days gone by - a true look back at the history of the Kansas City stockyard area.
The food was just great - I had the filet and it was perfectly cooked and the meat was fresh as was the excellent salad and the yummy cheese potatoes - very generous portions - truly a great example of a fine Kansas City steak.
Everyone who enjoys a great steak and a look back at an important part of Kansas City history needs to visit here - you will be glad you did.
If you live in the suburbs of Kansas City - it is so worth the drive to help keep an independent steakhouse in business and enjoy a great meal - pass it on to your friends!!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I went there with my wife visiting Kansas City. I had the Prime Rib and she had the strip. The steaks were fantastic and cooked perfectly. Salads were excellent. She thought her mashed potatoes were too garlicy, but her steak was big enough that she would not have eaten them anyways. I had the loaded baked potato and it was good. The only negative I had was the bread was subpar.

The atmosphere is fantastic if you like old historical buildings. I am still baffled that the place wasnt very busy on a Saturday night.

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We've stopped in here each time we drive up to Alaska. The steaks are top notch and are the reason we come here. We love the retro decor and the service is superb!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Went on a Sunday night. Restaurant empty. Old dumpy 1940's throwback, but waiter very friendly.
Easily the worst steaks I have ever had. Our group had 2 delmonicos and a prime rib. The delmonicos were obviously cooked earlier and rewarmed on a flat grill. Tough and totally flavorless. Unbelieveable. The prime rib was equally nasty. Out group had a few bites and left the rest for the trash. Expensive adds insult to injury.
This place used to be great 25 years ago when I was a student in KC. Hard to believe it will be in business much longer and good riddance.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Not up to standards we found way back when Golden Ox was in Washington, DC.
Very disappointed with the steaks--the decor looked familiar, but other than that, I was not impressed.