“Always The Best !!!!!”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 16th
Transit: The Twelfth Street Bus has a stop directly in front of the restaurant.
Kansas City, Missouri
“Always The Best !!!!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Great KC strip, big salad and service beyond compare. Bet my drink never got below half way at
any time.

Smell when I walked in was breath taking and steak was cooked to perfection !!!

Sure was not a "Walmart" steak for sure !!!!!!

Since my first visit in 1978, only once has the dinner not been good, last week it was GREAT !!!

Only distraction, prices were quite pricy for the portion.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Ray B

Iowa
“Best Steaks in KC”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I first visited The Golden Ox in 1976 while attending the American Royal. For the past six years I have visited the Ox every fiver or six weeks while on business in KC. The atmosphere and history of the stockyards is something you won't find anywhere else. Steve and Bill the owners and Mike & Willie the hosts go out of their way to make your dining experience the best. You can see your steak being seared on the 1500 degree wood fired grill right in the middle of the dining room. I choose the KC Strip or the Filet. Either is superb. Chris, Springer and the other servers are the best. I know the P &L has fancier and more expensive places but for your money you won't get any better than The Golden Ox

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Cy2015
Kansas City, Missouri
“Quiet atmosphereA little 60's, but that is alright”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We went there for a birthday party for a grand daughter. They could not have done more. Lighting the cake serving it and boxing it up afterwards. They managed to cut it so that her name was still there after everyone had been served.We had a trainee, it took a littel whiie for the salads to arrive but after that everything was right on time. Teh water coffee and ice tea glasses were never empty. It was a great experience and the steaks were huge and cooked just right.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank nighthawk779
Los Angeles, California
“Kansas City Cowboy Decor”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

It is decorated in 1950s cowboy images, so it's fun. Even the carpets have branding signs. Ordered grilled shrimp that were at the same time burned and uncooked with too strong a smoke flavor. Scotch and soda was ordered before I could ask for a brand of scotch, and the bar choice they made without me was poor. Steaks, their reputation is based on them, were Delmonico and Ribeye. One was ordered medium well, the other medium rare. Both came out exactly the same, roughly medium rare. The baked potato must have been not from yesterday but from yester-yesterday, with a blackened skin and deeply brown potato inside the skin, yellow cheese, sour cream, bacon all in little buckets were most unappealing. All in all, quite poor from start to end. Even the crackers wrapped in plastic were stale; by the time we tried them, we were not surprised.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank VeniVidiFrui
“Heaven on a plate!”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We went with a group of 14 adults. We did have a reservation, but like with some restaurants where they set your tables up until you get there, golden ox did not. They had everything ready for us when we walked in the door. Waiter and waitress we had were amazing (sorry, can't remember their names)! Now, to the food! Talk about a piece of heaven! I ordered the prime rib with a baked potato. It came with choice of soup or salad-I'm usually a salad girl, but chose the soup of the day-lobster bisque. It was so delicious that I finished the entire bowl! When the main course arrived, my steak was the size of my plate!! My husband laughed at me and said that it was too much for me, since I'm only 120 lbs soaking wet! Any who, when I went to cut the steak, no knife was needed it just melted under my fork. I took one bite, and was hooked! I didn't even partake in any conversations, I just devoured my entire 12 oz prime rib, and didn't touch the potatoe! We had 3 drinks a piece(him beer, and me pineapple and Malibu), he got a ribeye and the total bill was a little over $90! I couldn't believe it! I'm ready to go back right now! Definitely worth the money!