“Surprisingly good bar food”

Tomfooleries Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #106 of 1,469 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Friendly staff, good service. Not enough TV's and no NFL Network. But food was quite tasty, and reasonably priced

Reviewed November 2, 2012

After having a really bad dinner the night before, we were on the lookout for something on the way out of town. Not much was open on labor day for lunch, but these guys were and took a shot. What a Great Choice!!!

The food was phenomenal - some of the best fish and chips I've ever had, decadent mac and cheese, and phenomenal chicken strips. In addition, one of the best bloody marys I have ever had. We even made a special trip to buy a cooler to ensure our leftovers made it home!

Only disappointment was that I had to drive and couldn't fully enjoy the bloody marys. That will change next time.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We started off with the lettuce wraps as an appetizer which were tasty. This is a good size appetizer so plan on taking your entrée home in a box. I had the Lobster mac & cheese which was a healthy portion. It was good but I thought the bacon completely overpowered the lobster flavor or the dish. It was very heavy on the bacon. My friend had the combo goat cheese salad and chicken alfredo pizza. Both of these entrees were good. Service was slow but they were quite busy so I'd give them some leeway on this. However, one thing I can't stand with any restaurant is to be charged more than what the menu lists. In this case I was charges $4.50 for a side caesar salad listed in the menu for $4.00. Not a big deal being charged $0.50 extra but a detail I don't appreciate.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I am a bit of a brunch snob, so was looking for a good place to go in KC while stuck here over the weekend working. Tomfooleries advertises an all you can eat breakfast brunch and a build your own bloody mary bar, so I was in!

The selection is astounding - everything from breakfast basics (eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, pastries) to lunch staples (lasagne, soup, salad, mac n cheese). I was hooked! The potato pancakes were my favorite part and the huevos rancheros (in bite size rolls!) were good too. Unfortunately, I wasn't there when they opened, but more around noon-ish and the food wasn't too warm. However, the selection and the quality (temperature notwithstanding) won me over. I'm a vegetarian and I had PLENTY to choose from.

Tomfooleries also includes a custom omelette bar with the buffet. I had enough to satisfy me, but the ingredient list looked diverse and I saw omelettes being served to others and they looked huge and amazing!

The bloody mary bar was pretty extensive also, with every garnish a girl could want. I never get enough horseradish in my bloodies when they're made for me, so this solved that problem!

Even though it was a buffet, I had great service - my server was very attentive, clearing plates and filling waterglasses before I could even notice that it needed to be done.

All in all, if you're looking for brunch in KC, this is definitely the first place to try. It wasn't even as crowded as I thought it would be, it being the Plaza and all. But I got there just as all the stores were opening on a Sunday.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My colleagues and I were in Kansas City for a conference, and we wanted a nice restaurant/bar that could accommodate a large party.

Our waitress had no problem attending to our 10-top, and we required multiple individual bills for our business reimbursement-receipt process. No problem. She was on it!

Food was EXCELLENT! Favorites on the table were the Lobster Mac and Cheese, all flavor Pizzas, and the meatloaf.

Drinks were pretty good too. It is going to be hilarious to turn in a receipt that says "X-Rated Martini!"

The only downside would have to be the live music. While the musician played very well, the acoustics and speakers were set VERY LOUD that night! It was VERY hard to have a conversation.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the place for a group gathering. Even bringing kids was no obstacle for this place. Food was delicious and not so cliché, which is a preferred alternative to your franchise/chain restaurants.