“Yes, they really do weigh it -- and they'll take some back, too.”
Review of Murray's Ice Creams & Cookies - CLOSED

Murray's Ice Creams & Cookies
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed August 27, 2010

No question Murray's has terrific ice cream. The flavors rotate and there is always something new, as well as the old favorites. My problem with it -- and my wife's, too -- is that not only do they weigh the ice cream, but they'll actually take some back if it is overweight. Heaven forbid the customer get a little extra. Our last visit there had the server creating a truly beautifully-presented cone of my wife's favorite flavor. We all eyed it appreciatively, then came the obligatory weigh-in. What? Too heavy! To our absolute astonishment, the server proceeded to excise a dollop from the top, and to present my wife with the once-lovely cone -- with a perfectly-placed divot on top of the ice cream scoop, spoiling the presentation. Last time for us. Now we go to Glace. Enjoy the ice cream at Murray's, but brace yourself for the weigh-in and for the occasional divot.

There are newer reviews for Murray's Ice Creams & Cookies

Reviewed December 16, 2009

The ice cream isn't really that good and they give you such a small amount and charge and arm and a leg. And as another poster stated, they do weigh out the scoops on a scale. When the girl behind the counter did that I was like "umm, what are you doing?" Never seen anything quite like that before :)

2  Thank Ben1968
Reviewed November 26, 2009

I took my grandmother here for ice cream and was shocked when they presented us with two tiny little scoops that were actually weighed out on a scale. After my grandmother raised her eyebrow, I asked if we might be able to get a little more considering what they were charging and the woman behind the counter coped an attitude with me and told me i'd have to pay double just to get what I considered a generous portion of ice cream. I was very appalled by this. Never in my life have I seen an ice cream shop that weigh out scoops. I know times are tough for a lot of people with the economy being the way it is, but have things gotten so bad that a business has to weigh out ice cream? I visited another local gelato shop a few days later and they gave me a beautiful serving of delicious gelato. I actually asked if they were going to weigh the scoop and the guy chuckled and said "I see you've been to Murray's"

2  Thank GoldenBoy12
Reviewed August 23, 2009

This is a little gem that is fairly new to the Westport area of Kansas City. The ice cream is rich, creamy, creative, and DELICIOUS. I was also pleased that the prices seemed reasonable! The service was friendly and prompt. They also serve coffee, but I didn't try any so I can't comment.

It's a great location where you can sit outside and share a cone with a date ;)

1  Thank ak335
Reviewed August 21, 2009

This is a must stop if you are ever in Kansas City. Everything is made fresh. The flavors vary from week to week, but they always have the chocalate flake fromage. I've never had ice cream this delicious anywhere in the world.

1  Thank isthatright