“clever chef, good food.”

Gojo Japanese Steak House
Ranked #857 of 1,469 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Im from out of town and came with a group, had great attentive service from the staff. The chef was very witty and quite the trixter. While I'm not a fan of the yellow sauce, the food tasted good.
If you leave here hungry, its your own fault. I would of gave Gojos a 5, but the drunk & obnoxious "birthday girl" who was scamming the guy sitting next to me by ordering one of everything on the menu and getting "doggy bags" yelled at me to "move down" so her mark wasnt close enough to touch her. :)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect...after reading several reviews of this restaurant but was pleasantly surprised. This was a celebration dinner for work, location was selected by others who were familiar with Gojo's. We were seated promptly after all in our party arrived. Order was quickly taken and chef arrived soon to start cooking. We had a variety of dishes at our table, everything from steak & chicken to scallops & shrimp and even a land, sea & air (steak, crab & chicken). We all enjoyed our meals. Had read previously that you either loved the yellow sauce or hated it, I thought it was good and liked the green sauce as well. If I had a complaint it would be that the veggies were cooked so early and put on the plate that by the time the meat was added the veggies were not hot. I just mixed them in with everthing and all was good. As someone else said, the bigger your group the better and it's a decent meal at a decent price. Would definately go back again.

1  Thank Doreen K
Reviewed May 18, 2014

If you like a disgusting building that hasn't been cleaned since the south had tried to split from the union your looking at the right place. The food was all cooked in a pound of butter and was overcooked etc. This place also does not provide the usual noodles and instead tries to give you brussel sprouts. Not to mention the smell of old burnt food helps set the ambience of this wonderful place.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

A truly amazing range of reviews for the ol' Gojo's. We've been coming to Gojo's for well over 15 years and always have a fun time. The bigger the group, the better. You can't beat the prices for a decent meal (like Styx at the Legends -- that is pricey!), and the mix of the yellow and green sauces are really wonderful on the food. Some say it is old and dingy. I say it has character. Yes, the service can be hit or miss, and some cooks are a lot more entertaining than others. So don't judge it by just one visit. This past weekend, I had the steak and scallops. Our chef cooked the scallops to perfection and the rest of the food was tasty. He was not one of the more entertaining guys, but did his fair share of 'cutlery gymnastics'. We plan to continue coming to Gojo's for family fun nights with friends -- the more, the merrier.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Tyler, did you realize that this restaurant was closed down temporarily because it had a roach problem late last year? Sadly, this place lost our support years ago, but I wanted to try it again, since it had been a family tradition to have birthday dinners there. You confirmed why I am finished with it.