“My #1 BEST MEAL on the PLANET!!!”
Review of Le Fou Frog

Le Fou Frog
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Fou Frog is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #88 of 1,513 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Oak Street
Transit: Max - 5th & Grand
Reviewed April 17, 2018

We're all about memories instead of things - took special friends here as their wedding gift - and it did NOT disappoint!!! WOW! Our friends were blown away by the atmosphere, the decor, the wait staff and THE FOOD! Over the Top AMAZING!!! This is going down as my Number 1 BEST MEAL on the planet - and I've worked in Int'l Sales for 25 years!!! The Squash/coconut soup was a big surprise of the evening!!! Escargot the best I've ever had - Foie Gras, dreamy. The knock-your-socks-off show stopper though was the wagyu beef!!! Heaven!

1  Thank Elishia C

Reviewed April 14, 2018

This is a very nice place. Authentically French. We live in St. Louis, and sadly, this quality of French restaurant no longer exists here.

Great service. Foie Gras is wonderful.

The reason for only four stars is because of the wine list. Great Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc with our dinner, but for $88. Saw it for $62 at a restaurant the next day, and for $41 at the wine store in downtown KC.

Nevertheless, would recommend this restaurant highly.

Reviewed March 9, 2018

I am not sure when we found Le Fou Frog, after moving to Kansas City, but it holds a special place for our family for celebrating special occasions like graduations, birthdays, and anniversaries.

They are only open for dinner and I highly recommend making reservations. We most recently went as a special holiday dinner, my son, husband, and me. We really enjoyed our meal, as always.

The service is always amazing. The food is even better. My husband loves the cheesy French onion soup. I like their special salads, the fig one in particular. We've tried various things on the menu over the years. We often get the mussels and escargots for appetizers, always delicious. Over the years we've tried kangaroo, and bison, along with chicken, or my normal staple of some kind of fish. Most recently I had a wonderful walleye pike. My son ordered veal with prosciutto and risotto. My husband ordered wild boar with wild rice, veggies, and an apple side. They have some vegetarian options like ratatouille. Their French onion soup is made with a beef broth though and not vegetarian.

While we were there at the holidays they did interrupt the meal for the whole restaurant to sing the First Noel together passing out sheets of paper with the lyrics, which was interesting, but fun. The atmosphere is cozy with not a ton of tables, but all in a close space. The lights are always dim, and there were some holiday decorations up at our last visit. Servers don't have a lot of space to move around but they manage.

We are always impressed with our meal when we eat here. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, while quite attentive. The food is stellar. We highly recommend this place.

1  Thank jelico8
Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

The reason I would return to this place would be for the ambiance. It was very quaint and intimate. The food was ok, nothing crazy that really stood out. The drinks were good. The marrow appetizer spread on bread was very good.

Reviewed January 14, 2018

After three years of trying, we were finally able to get a reservation for restaurant week at Le Fou Frog. We went with high hopes, but they were sadly not fulfilled. The amuse bouche was sushi....sushi in a French restaurant....that did not fit at all. Although the piece was fine, think it was shrimp, it did not say French cuisine.

The starter choices were ok, the lobster bisque being the star item, but the salads were nothing special. The main disappointment was with the chicken entree. It was a remoulade dish made with goat cheese and sauced. Could not say what the sauce was, or even if it was chicken as the goat cheese was so overpowering. There was just too much of it and it drowned out every other flavor on the plate. Plus three green beans, a cherry tomato and two brussel sprouts does not count as veggie sides to me. The saving grace was the wild boar dish, this was very nicely done and tasty, but with the same minuscule veggies, must be just for color.

The dessert we tried was the chocolate mousse in a chocolate dome. This was not as expected as mousse is usually light, but this was a fairly heavy dish, and needed a darker chocolate to bring out the flavor.

The service was excellent, but not a reason to come spend money. There are other good French restaurants in Kansas City, they are also less expensive. Glad we tried Le Fou, but won't be back unfortunately.