“Huge Disappointment”
Review of Le Fou Frog

Le Fou Frog
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Fou Frog is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #103 of 1,424 Restaurants in Kansas City
Transit: Max - 5th & Grand
Kansas City
“Huge Disappointment”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My husband and I went here to celebrate my Birthday this past August. I had read mixed reviews so we went with open minds and very low expectations. We have lived in the Kansas City area for many years and have always wanted to try this restaurant as it has been around forever and seems to get a fair amount of hype. My expectations could not have been low enough for what we experienced! To be fair to the staff of the restaurant, they were the only highlight of our dinner. From the moment we were greeted to the lovely Birthday song I was sung in French, they were nothing short of very friendly and hospitable.

The exterior of the building is concrete blocks and looks like it has not seen paint in many years. We could barely make out the sign it is so faded. The first thing we noticed when we walked in was how dark it was and the awful, take your breath away smell! It's a good things we were able to eat outside because I would have left. The smell of the place was like a dingy bar. There was absolutely no natural light in the place and did not have a good vibe for romantic or fine dining. The outdoor patio at least had fresh air but the tables and chairs looked like they had come out of an old school. Our table rocked and the chairs were not comfortable.

My husband ordered the steak which he loved. It was huge and did taste pretty good. I got the sea bass thinking it would be cooked properly at a fine French restaurant but I didn't really like it. The dessert was wonderful. It was made from fresh pears from the tree on their patio.

The staff is clearly allowed to wear whatever they want and is certainly not what you would expect at a fine dining restaurant. One of the servers tried to bring wine to us that went to another table and then laughed saying she should probably learn her table numbers.

We spent $150.00 for a very mediocre meal in a very unappealing atmosphere. We can now say we tried it but will never return!!

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank KansasCityScubachick

“First Time - Great Time!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My wife and I stopped in for a dinner while out of town. It was delicious! The owner greeted us. The waiter was very helpful on selecting our wine. Simply an amazing experience.

Ballwin, Missouri
“Steak au poivre lacked pepper but sea bass was superb; portions generous and excellent atmosphere and value”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have reviewed this place before and gave it 5 stars. I'm only giving it 4 after our latest visit in January 2014 because the steak au poivre while a fine cut of meat and delicious, couldn't really quality as steak au poivre because there were virtually no peppercorns on it and virtually none in the sauce. In other words it was a delicious steak, but it really wasn't steak au poivre because it lacked pepper. I'm still giving the place 4 stars because the quality of the steak was high and it was a generous portion. In fact, all the portions are generous which is in comparison to the Cafe Des Amis which has much smaller portions. The salad that came with my steak was a generous size and delicious and there was a generous portion of excellent French fries that came with it all for $38 which puts this place at an excellent position on the value spectrum. My wife's Chilean Sea Bass was truly outstanding and priced at only $37. The wine prices are reasonable as well generally. The Princess Stephie cocktail at $8 was delicious. This is a small and intimate place which is dark but not too dark, very French, and absolutely delightful if that is the kind of thing one likes which we really do. This place should rank really high for special occasions and romance. We definitely plan to go back.

2 Thank John E
Kansas City, Missouri
“Delicous meal and great warm staff.”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

It was miserably cold and snowy outside, but we braved the weather to go to Le Fou Frog for my birthday. It was well worth it! The meal was delicious and the staff were friendly, efficient, and a lot of fun. The chef/owner and his co-owner wife were wonderful. We told her we would be traveling to Paris this spring and she came back with a business card for a restaurant we had to try while we're there. When I made a comment about the platter of mussels the owner was carrying to another table he brought us a platter of them. He also brought us champagne and dessert for my birthday. What a nice place to spend a frigid winter evening. We've lived in Kansas City for years and had never been here before. I'm glad we finally tried it.

Kansas City, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Food and Quirky Fun for Ringing in NYE”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Le Fou Frog serves delicious French cuisine that is always superb and has never disappointed us. We love to dine there on New Year's Eve because they make it fun with drinking games and servers randomly breaking into song. The "Branzino Mediterranean" is an exquisite sea bass dish with crab and goat cheese. Yum!!!

• Visited December 2013