“Should be your first choice”
Review of Le Fou Frog

Le Fou Frog
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Fou Frog is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #131 of 1,415 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Oak Street
Transit: Max - 5th & Grand
Lawrence, Kansas
“Should be your first choice”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

When one thinks of French restaurants, it is easy to be put off by pretentious service and off-putting ambience, but the Frog is just the opposite. First, the food is fabulous. We shared the lobster bisque (heavenly), house salad, and my wife had the baked sea bass, and I had twin lobster tails. The baked sea bass was perfectly prepared with a slightly crisp outside and correctly cooked inside on a layer of tasty cheesy risotto. My twin lobster tails were lightly butter and cooked to perfection, also accompanied by sautéed green beans and risotto. We finished with a perfect panna cotta and finished off a reasonably priced bottle of Cote de Rhone red.
Our server, Lisa, was knowledgeable about the menu, attentive to our needs, developing a nice banter with us without being intrusive. On top of that, she entertained the house with a beautiful ballad worthy of a professional performer. The co-owner stopped and chatted with us and gave us the impression that they really cared about us and appreciated us being there on a snowy Saturday night.
This is a KC Original and lives up to the standard for an original restaurant. Quirky ambience, individualized service and quality, unique menu items. This is our go-to restaurant in Kansas City. We have never had anything but a first class, top-notch dining outing here.

Lake Lotawana
“One of my favorites”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This KC restaurant is a gem. Serving excellently prepared French cuisine in a setting with character. Don't let the address sway you. There are no better restaurants in the Plaza or Johnson County. If you have the opportunity dine when they are having a special event. Always fun. Drink menu is great. Absinthe and Lillet drinks are on the menu. Nice wine selections as well. The best is the hand made truffles. Absolutely to die for. Suggest reservations.

• Visited February 2013
Lenexa, Kansas
“Quaint and Fun FRENCH Food in Kansas City - really!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Not much French food in KC so this was a pleasant surprise - a quaint, fun place down by the River Market. We had different items for each course so we could really test the Chef. All was good except for the asparagus - it was overcooked for me. The smoked duck salad was devine. The atmosphere (as noted above) quaint, the server honest and knowledgeable and when it got quiet one of the servers broke out in song. Fun for a couple or a group - wouldn't suggest younger kids - the menu is not suited to most children's taste.

Olathe, Kansas
“Great, fresh menu!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have been to this petite French restaurant several times, but our visit last night influenced me to leave a review. The daily menu had a lot of fresh fish choices, so my husband and I each had different fish. I had the Halibut with risotto, and my husband had the Red Snapper with salsa. Each dish was just amazing! I also had their French Onion soup off their permanent menu, and is, in my opinion, the best in the city. We finished dinner with their fresh creme brulee, which was served immediately after glazing the sugar top; just as it should be served, and the best we've had outside of Paris! Why is it that most restaurants serve creme brulee right out of the fridge, with the glazing done prior to going into the fridge? I recommend reservations, but we got lucky last night as late walk-ins. Superb!

Gladstone, Missouri
“A pleasant dining experience”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was our second time eating at Le Fou Frog. The first time it was a couples' meal. Tonight was a family group of 9. We chose to go during Restaurant Week in Kansas City because there would be a special menu with less expensive options. Also because we enjoy trying new places during Restaurant Week. All members of our party enjoyed the experience. We had a wonderful waiter who was very knowledgeable and helpful to us all. Everything ordered was enjoyed. The menu options were varied from things for the adventurous eater to things for the non-adventurous eater. Everything was well prepared. The only complaint was that some foods were rather salty. This was only a problem because my dad was with us and needs to limit his salt due to his health conditions. I do enjoy this restaurant, enough that I am willing to pay "regular" menu prices to eat here. It has a fun atmosphere, including wandering singers at times. Delicious food and fun place to go.

Visited January 2013