“Go For the Ribs”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife had the ribs and loved them. I had a few and they were indeed excellent. I had the beef which was supposedly brisket but didn't like the way it was sliced as with a deli slicer. Likewise the sausage which was sliced from a loaf. Atmosphere typical of barbecue with many happy customers. I actually drove through Kansas City taking I-70 to NYC rather than the faster route from St. Louis to I-80 in order to go to the restaurant. Their YouTube shows that they won a Food Channel shootout with Gates Barbecue. The last time we were in Kansas City to see the Negro League Hall of Fame, the gals in the shop recommended Gates over Bryant. I remember that we liked it but it was too long ago to compare.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This place has it all. The history, the looks and the best BBQ in KC ... and that's saying a lot. I stop in whenever I pass through town. This time it was a burnt-end sandwich with a slab and pound of turkey to go. A true institution.

Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the oldest BBQ joints left in the US and there is good reason for it. Go to the original one on Brooklyn Ave.. There are no words here that accurately depict the food, just go, and go hungry.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stop on our way to St Louis last weekend first time there and most definitely will not be my last. great portions and great service

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I have eaten at them all and ya can't find bad BBQ in Kansas City, if it's here I have not found it!