“Awesome Atmosphere, Okay Food”

Arthur Bryant's BBQ
Ranked #21 of 1,429 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed March 18, 2013

For the past 8 years, we have been going to KC to attend a work conference held annually and every year we search out a different KC BBQ restaurant in the search to find the best. While we may not have yet found the best KC BBQ, we've certainly had our share of various flavors and locations. Arthur Bryant's was definitely a switch from the usual places we've been, being in an older building in a more secluded portion of town and a slightly fast food restaurant sort of set up. You walk through a line and pretty much shout your order at the workers behind the window. It's a no-nonsense, muss or fuss type of restaurant. The best tip I can give you? Avoid the ribs, the original sauce & get the rich & spicy (it has a richer, deeper flavor and has more of a well rounded palate in my opinion), and order your sandwich with fries to-go, even if you are eating in at the restaurant. I think this is the highlight of eating at Arthur Bryant's. It might not sound great, but they throw your fries on top of your sandwich and wrap it all up in red paper and it just has a very street food, authentic feel. The fries were great, the red cream soda was really good too, and the sandwich was also wonderful, but the ribs were dry & tough. It's not super clean, it's definitely a hole in the wall, but it's a happening place and there is so much to look at while you're there. The employees were all wonderful, but again: no nonsense. Don't go here expecting to be coddled, waited on, or for a wine & dine experience. This isn't the place for that. It's good food, quick, and in a unique environment. I'd go back just for the experience alone.

1  Thank Bobbie B
There are newer reviews for Arthur Bryant's BBQ

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was the first trip on my barbeque odyssey which included kc, st louis and memphis.
It was also my second time to try KC bbq and this was the best bbq joint out of all 3 cities and better than jack stack there in KC. We went to the original AB location and I had the pulled pork and burnt ends.
Some will say that the location is suspect but that's because they are scared of everything. It's fine.
The "ambiance" may not satisfy the upper crusters but it was exactly what bbq is supposed to be.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went to Arthur Bryant's with my film crew and we were surprised that it was so small and rustic. I do not know what I was expecting, but this was not it...at first. Basic red and white checkered table cloths and plastic cafeteria cups, a crowded boisterous place. Then we got in line... I saw the sides of beef and pork that were being delivered.. they were the size of my leg!! Also in the kitchen I as watching in amazement as they were wheeling in more beef ribs from the smoker. It was incredible. Now I opted for the chicken (hopefully saving myself from an angioplasty), but it was a huge bird!! and it WAS A SANDWICH. Also I was shocked to see that they used Wonderbread ( I am not sure what they will use now while they are in receivership). When I was waiting for my sandwich I couldn't believe its size and the guy behind the counter asked me :" What are you a wimp?". There weren't enough clean gasses at the time so we took some from the outcart- cleaned them with a napkin and used then for our beer ( yes crude, but oddly it seemed ok). The cornbread and the food was fantastic ( of course I could not finish mine, but we had a great time talking to everyone in the place- a great atmosphere!!. Don't expect much but Great Food!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Having seen Arthur Bryant's on the Travel Channel several times, I knew my next visit to KC would include a stop. Great BBQ!
Best bets to avoid a line or crowd are to try the restaurant's locations at the Ameristar Casino near KCI and Worlds of Fun or the Legends shopping center location in KS.

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I've tried all three locations and the one located inside Ameristar is by far the best. My husband and I share a beef sandwich with fries once a week for $12. We also take some of it home for leftovers. The people who work there are extremely nice and always pleasant. The evening manager "Will" is the best. I highly recommend this location.