“dinner before a show”
Review of Lidia's Restaurant

Lidia's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Lidia's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 1,489 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th and Baltimore
Reviewed January 21, 2014

we went early on a Sunday nite before going to a show. The place is beautiful. The service was good, and the pasta trio, all you can eat past of 3 differnt varities was very good. Kinda odd but all the chairs seemed broken and the hostest told us that they were 16 years old and she was surprised they lasted this long.
Overall a nice place to have dinner for any reason. The pasta trio is priced at $19.00 by itself and was well worth it.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was really looking forward to going to this restaurant. I enjoy watching her show on PBS and even have one of her cookbooks. I love to cook and have taken culinary tours to Italy and eaten some really good Italian food. I was disappointed with my entire experience here. I don't remember much about what I ate, just that it was not very good. Frankly, I have had more memorable meals at Olive Garden.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is a great restaurant I bring anyone who is visiting me in Kansas city. The food is consistently great. I look forward to the pasta trio everyone time. My favorite is the ravioli.. It is so good. I have had so many good meals, I can't pick a favorite.

This is a must stop for any living or visiting KC.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Was looking forward to this for some time and left disappointed . Started with the Pasta Trio, the fettuccini Alfredo was soupy and lacked any real cheese. The ravioli was tasteless and a bit over done. The rigatoni in meat sauce was the best of the 3. I think what really surprised me was how poor the sauces were. The staff never returned to offer cheese for the dishes.
We ordered 3 mains, Osso Bucco, the Calamari and the Pasta with the Sunday meat Sauce.
The worst dish was the calamari which looked awful as well as tasted awful. The sauce was watery and lacked flavor. The squid was steamed and had no seasoning. It was supposed to be spicy.
The Sunday sauce was 1 piece of pork rump which was very tasty, 1 sausage and a meatball. This was the best they could do? 3 pieces. The sauce was thin and watery more like a wash. The rigatoni was properly cooked and al dente. What I found surprising was how watery the sauces were and how they lacked flavor.
The Osso Bucco was properly cooked but did not have any flavor. The sauce was unseasoned and needed both salt and pepper. It came with a risotto that was excellent and very tasty.
The service was lacking. They do not have a wine sommelier and they really need one for this restaurant. The waiter never returned to fill the wine glasses, never offered to sprinkle cheese or cracked pepper.
Although a very beautiful and well decorated restaurant I would not recommend it.

1  Thank Edward M
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Okay, I'm a foodie so is not only Lydia Bastianich a great teacher for my cooking skills, she has a quality to her cooking style that I just "get." So, when I was in KC with girlfriends for a quick weekend getaway I was thrilled that we were able to get in at Lydia's on a Saturday night for dinner. I had previously read that the pasta dinner is a tradition there, so as it offered a selection of dishes that was my choice. The caesar salad was very generous and right behind that came all of the pasta we wanted, served personally from warm pans directly to ones' plate. The nights' choices were a butternut risotto, penne with sausage and linguine with shrimp. I don't know how they do it, but each pasta was perfectly cooked, no sogginess or lacking flavor which can happen when large quantities are made and served. May have to try the brunch when in KC another time.

The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated, with a couple of Chihuly chandeliers and an interesting wall of back-lit wine casks and bottles. I would say that the bathrooms could use a touch up in paint, but the rest of the restaurant was clean, warm and inviting, just as Lydia would want it.