“Insultingly over priced ~ but”
Review of Lidia's Restaurant

Lidia's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Lidia's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 1,429 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th and Baltimore
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We went for the Market Brunch on Sunday. The food quality was excellent. For a little lighter fare, just do the Antipasta Table & Dolci (desert) table. Be sure to check the beverage menu before ordering, unless maybe you are on a paid tab!

There are newer reviews for Lidia's Restaurant

Reviewed July 14, 2013

After reading some of the other reviews, I wanted to skip giving Lidia's a try while visiting KC...but my husband loves Lidia's cookbooks (everything he has cooked from her cookbooks have been true knock it out of the park winners), so like many others, he wanted to try a restaurant with her name attached to it. We compromised and went for lunch - which turned out, at least to me, to be a waste of time and money. I can't believe for a minute that Lidia would settle for food as bland and pedestrian as the food served in this restaurant. The entrees sound interesting, but don't let that fool you. For instance, I chose Gnocchi with braised duck ragu, but it had the flavor of a frozen entrée from the grocery store - and I'm not exaggerating when I say this, it was literally the quality of a frozen product from one of the upscale frozen entrees you can now find in the supermarket. My husband chose Wild Boar Ravioli in Rosemary infused sauce as his pasta dish of choice....it sounded so unusual and exotic, so non-traditional and not your usual Italian restaurant entrée, but there wasn't much to it. Despite the fancy name and description, it was just a few discs of flat raviolis with barely any stuffing infused with a strong spice taste - I thought it had ginger or cinnamon in it though my husband said it was the rosemary, but whatever it was, it wasn't delicious, it was standard pasta with a curious aftertaste stuffing. The kind of food where you keep tasting it to figure out what the spice is you can't quite place, not because it's good...I thought Lidia's menu was an example of the proverbial bait and switch - the dishes are described so colorfully and alluringly....the pork chop entrée was described as "apple brined pork chop" but it was just a plain overcooked, ordinary chop...the menu is sprinkled with interesting words such as "infused, braised, imported, heirloom, herb-roasted, heritage, etc." and it all sounds so fantastic until it's put in from of you and you see what it really is.
What really annoyed me was that the soup and salad were just passable at best. You have your choice of soup or salad with lunch entree. The soup of the day was a corn-based soup with beef, but tasted like it was a mishmash without any flavorful base, not bad but not good either. The caesar salad, described as "Lidia’s Signature Caesar Salad with Shaved Grana Padano and Foccacia Croutons" sounded scrumptious but was just a small plate of overly chilled lettuce with large chunks of unseasoned hardened bread...since it was so cold, I had the impression it had been made in advance then refrigerated.
Though the entrees were served piping hot, the dips served with the bread basket (the bread was chilled too) were also very cold to the point of interfering with the taste, and bland...one was garlic based and the other one a pesto dip of some kind (they were plopped on the table with no explanation). They were okay but cold to the point they hurt my teeth a little!
Our server was attentive in a very laid back fashion...the décor of the restaurant is just fabulous....I loved the look and ambience of the place, it's just too bad the food isn't worthy of the lovely design and décor. I feel I'm being uncharacteristically in this review of Lidia's, but for the prices they charge - our lunch pasta dishes were $16 each) they need to gin it up several notches. I looked at the dinner menu while waiting for our table, and the entrée prices were mostly from the mid-$20 to $30 plus range....that's incredibly overpriced for the quality you're getting. Oddly, at least to me, Lidia's was bustling on the Thursday afternoon we visited, there were business people and ladies who lunch all over the place, whereas Maker's Mark Bourbon House, a fantastic restaurant just a short distance away, was deserted when we visited it for lunch the day before. And Maker's Mark Bourbon House was reasonably priced for lunch....I ordered one of the best Prime Rib Sandwiches ($12) I've ever had at Maker's Mark Bourbon House. I would choose Maker's Mark steakhouse over this place in a split second.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Reputation if owner better than the pasta. Over priced bland pasta. Very disappointing in food. Over rated. Limited choices if wine per glass 16.00 and not great. Service average. Would not recommend nor would I go there again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very disappointing. The service was ok, and the food was even worse. The "homemade" pasta tasted like something I could buy at the supermarket. The food was too salty, and the price (for dinner at least) is way too much for what you get.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a wonderful meal at Lidia's. Service was great. What a combination of flavors in the meal. It was well worth the cost of the meal. An excellent restaurant to enjoy a taste of Italy.