“Nice, but Pricey, Birthday Dinner”
Review of Ruth's Chris Steak House - CLOSED

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jefferson
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My family hadn't been to Ruth's Chris in Kansas City for about three years, but my wife decided she wanted to come here for her birthday dinner. When we arrived, our table had been decorated with glitter and tiny metallic balloons to mark the occasion. It was a nice touch. Our server was outstanding. He took quite a bit of time to describe dishes, explain specials, and suggest options for our young daughter. He was helpful and attentive throughout. The food was good. Not great, but good. The thing about Ruth's is that, although it's a good special occasion restaurant, the prices are a bit high for what you get. We had three people in our group, one of whom was a child. My wife and I each ordered one cocktail. Our only desert was free because it was her birthday. Even with that, the bill was about $200. I like Ruth's, and I probably will go back someday, but it may be another three years. There are plenty of other good - and more reasonably priced - restaurants to choose from.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had been to Ruth Chris twice, about twenty years ago in Cancun, and remembered the great steaks and skinny fries. So I made online reservations for our 38th anniversary at the Ruth Chris in KC on the Plaza (and noted on the reservation that we were celebrating our 38th anniversary). We do not live near a Ruth Chris, but our daughter lives in KS so we made plans to eat there while on a visit at her home.

First of all, we were told about the special on the first page of the menu ($50 each, with certain selections available) - I told the waiter I didn't see fries listed, and he said they could substitute. We didn't need to look any further in the menu, since we saw both the filet and ribeye there and were told it was a better deal.

When our steaks and fries came, the fries were not skinny as we remembered, and they were not good. Also, the waiter did not have us cut into our steaks before he left the table, and my husband's filet was very rare/red (he ordered medium). It was quite a while before the waiter returned to our table so my husband could return the steak to be cooked to medium as ordered.

At the end of the meal the waiter asked if we wanted to box up the fries - I told him we didn't care for them - that they weren't the skinny fries we had remembered. He said he should have told us there were two kinds of fries - the skinny ones are called shoestrings. He said that other people have had the same thing happen (ordered the wrong fries, not knowing there are two to pick from).

My ribeye steak was good, but nothing out of the ordinary. My husband liked my ribeye better than his filet. We both thought the food wasn't worth the price (we can get steaks elsewhere that we like just as much for a third of the cost), and we thought the service we received was not worthy of the tip.

By the way - there was no mention of our special occasion, even though I listed it on our reservation where it asks for any special occasions that you're celebrating.

So overall, we were disappointed in the service and didn't think the food was any better than another steakhouse we visit which is much lower in price.

We do not plan to return.

2  Thank Sue M
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We had been to this location once before in our twenty years here and while the steaks were excellent, the service was so-so. Well, we decided to try them again during Restaurant Week this week and guess what? The service was still mediocre at best.

Earlier that day we told some friends where we were going for dinner and were warned about poor service. They said they used to save Ruth's Chris for special occasions only (not inexpensive) and when they went for the wife's birthday the first thing she asked was "why?" Seems they had bad service almost every time and it turned out that their birthday visit was no exception.

Okay, so once know to expect long waits between courses and routinely empty drinks, the food is still very, very good. We had the filets and they were melt-in-your-mouth good, just as we had remembered. While it took 40 minutes from the time we ordered them (yep, 40 minutes), the crab-stuffed mushroom appetizer was also good, although the stuffing was more along the lines of a Thanksgiving stuffing rather than infused with lots of crab.

Dessert was also very good, in this case the Chocolate Sin cake. Small portion, most likely in keeping with the Restaurant Week multi-course theme.

Bottom line? Ruth's Chris Steak House offers some of the best food at just about any of their locations. However, there are other Kansas City area restaurants that offer equally good food - some maybe even a tick better (Capital Grille). The different with many of those restaurants is that you can routinely expect (and receive) excellent service. So if you set your expectations accordingly then visit Ruth's Chris for an excellent meal. Just don't plan on a movie or anything else afterward, as you may not be able to fulfill those plans depending on the service.

1  Thank y2kgts
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Wife and I went to Ruth Christ during restaurant week here in Kansas City. For $33 we were amazed and the quality and quantity of food that was provided. I seldom have a steak outside of cooking my own but I have to say that the 8 oz. steak was one of the best I have ever had. My wife had crab cakes that was delicious. I also should comment on the excellent service that was provided. Both my wife and I decided we will go back

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Still the best steak in the Country! The Brussels sprouts are the best there is! Filet you can cut with a fork. Can't wait to go back!