Tripadvisor
Kansas City
Post
Inbox
Search

“Great lunch, just what I needed”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve a Table
Sun, 2/23
8:00 PM
Ranked #23 of 1,599 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 47th
Description: In the heart of Country Club Plaza and the mind of the true steak aficionado. The “city of fountains” is overflowing with luck as it is also the city of our dry aged, hand cut beef. Come see why one Ingram’s critic wrote, “I was speechless.” Two new private dining rooms now give you a grand choice of five in which to be speechless yourself.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was coming off of a terrible meeting and went to the Grille with an old friend who was well-known to the crew. We were treated as returning prodigal sons. Service was fantastic, can I give it six stars? I had a terrific KC strip, and 2 excellent martinis. Salad was good too. My mood turned 180 degrees. "Thanks, I needed that."

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (736)

Reviewed January 15, 2020

Awesome! Extravagant meal. Service were very professional and cleanliness. Glad I stopped by and worth every penny. Recommended to dine there. Thank you.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

We dined here about a week ago for a birthday celebration. It was a Friday night and I arrived a bit early to check out the bar scene. It is a completely different experience - and in my opinion, not in a good way. The bar was crowded, loud and it took the server so long to take my order, my drink was comped.

Once the full party arrived we moved to the dining room. Seems like they doubled the dining space which is great for capacity, but sadly, the Capital Grille has lost its refined and elegant dining experience that existed at the prior location. Our server was professional, however, we were surprised that there is now a one bottle per table policy where you can only bring in one bottle of wine. As there were five of us, we appealed to management and was allowed to open our second bottle.
When the server returned to open the bottle, we could sense an attitude for reasons unknown to us. The bottles we bought were not on their wine list and we were more than happy to pay the $25 corkage.

Appetizers: Two in our party ordered lobster bisque which they said tasted like cheddar cheese soup. Our server added a bit more sherry and that helped a bit. The crab cakes and prosciutto wrapped mozzarella were really good.

Entrees: Everyone enjoyed their entrees with no complaints on temperatures requested. I ordered my entree cooked medium (warm, pink center) but when cut, I noticed blood on the plate. It wasn't so pink that I couldn't eat it, but it was not cooked to my specification. The brussel sprouts were delish, but the lobster mac & cheese left something to be desired. It was dry and flavorless. I'm still wondering why people think cheese and seafood are a pairing, but that's just me.

Dessert: The birthday person still receives their complimentary dessert. Once again, everyone seemed to enjoy. My dessert, warm double chocolate cake with port-infused cherries, was SUPER rich. Instead of ice cream, I requested extra berries (a medley of strawberries, raspberries & blueberries). The portion is large enough to share and definitely requires coffee to cut through the sweetness (if you don't get the ice cream).

Overall, our experience was several levels below what we had experienced previously. Because of this, we probably won't be returning for a while. Hopefully, you'll have a better experience than we did.

Reviewed January 4, 2020 via mobile

New location makes an old favorite even better!! We came to the plaza for the holiday lights - after the holidays- and we’re surprised and delighted with the new look and feel (new larger dining spaces with intimate feel) combined with the comfort of delicious food and excellent service (Joellen really took care of us). We’ll be back!!

Reviewed December 25, 2019 via mobile

Great new location on the plaza. Come for a drink or a extravagant meal. Worth every penny.
Friends, family, or couples