“Absolutely fantastic”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 1,469 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 47th
Description: In the heart of Country Club Plaza and the mind of the true steak aficionado. The “city of fountains” is overflowing with luck as it is also the city of our dry aged, hand cut beef. Come see why one Ingram’s critic wrote, “I was speechless.” Two new private dining rooms now give you a grand choice of five in which to be speechless yourself.
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I went with my wife to celebrate our anniversary. They took exceptional care of us and the food was fantastic. We tried the house special wagyu beef ribeye as well as the tenderloins and lobster tails poached in butter sauce. The meals were excellent, service attentive and the comped us dessert of creme brulee (to die for) and the flourless espresso chocolate torte. Couldn't have been more pleased with our experience on our special night.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

When we walk in the door, the greeter greets us by name and says "we're glad you came" (we had reservations---and you should have them---its a popular place.
The server gave us her card to intoduce herself---never saw that any where else.
Great menu with halibut to KC steaks with blue cheese on them. I didn't get a timely delivery of my wine and our server apoligized and said that it was on the house. We later got a flourless choculate goodie, that "was on the house" to make up for the slow delivery.
Good integrity from management on down. REcommend highly, as have lots of others.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The best Kona Steak I have ever had. If you like pineapple then a stoli Doli drink if for you. For dessert the coconut cream pie is seriously to die for.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I have celebrated special occassions at the Capital Grille and every visit has been special. The service is some of the best available anywhere. The food is outstanding and the staff is friendly and professional....a great dining experience.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Kansas City is a tough town to have a steakhouse. This town eats a lot of steak, and the meat quality in KC is outstanding. Many backyard grillers are very serious about their work -- cooking a steak involves precision in temperature, timing and method -- and the best steak in town is often the one coming off their grill. KC knows what makes or breaks a good steak. Drive around a suburban neighborhood on a weekend night, and you'll smell what I mean.

But KC's loyalty to old restaurant standards, like Plaza III and the Hereford House, has faded in favor of Capital Grille. While it seems blasphemous to favor a national chain over a local place, the local places just seem to have gotten older and more inconsistent. Its not a cheap meal, or an insignificant occasion. You want it to be right. That's why the Capital Grille is the king of steak in KC.

I've been to the Capital Grille dozens of times, for lunch or dinner, and I've never had a bad experience in any way---food, selection, atmosphere, service, whatever. I've had chicken and fish here (to which your fellow diners may wince), and that's been very good (but admittedly, not their strength). The wine list is full without being daunting. They know how to serve drinks, and they can make you anything you want. The appetizer calamari is my favorite in the country---light breading, mixed with peppers, spicy but not killer. Perfect intro before a nice steak.

The meat quality on steak at CG is outstanding. They used aged beef, which punches up the flavor and lowers the water content. I suspect they use a sear/roast method of preparation, as the temperature (doneness) on the steak is consistently accurate and the outside has a nice crust. Other up-and-comer steak places like 801 Chophouse, sometimes fail at this. At 801, I've had a "medium rare" strip that looked more like a seared tuna steak--nuked crust on the outside, cold and red on the inside. It wasn't cool on the inside--it was very cold. I'm guessing 801 either didn't use room temperature steak to start, or they have a bonzo-hot oven that just sears the outside, but too quickly. Either way, it wasn't as good as Capital Grille.

The service at CG is probably the best, consistently, in town. They are there when you need them, and don't otherwise harass you. This place isn't cheap, but it won't cheat you either.

2  Thank StandsWithFist