“Best steak in Kansas City”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,406 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 47th
Description: In the heart of Country Club Plaza and the mind of the true steak aficionado. The “city of fountains” is overflowing with luck as it is also the city of our dry aged, hand cut beef. Come see why one Ingram’s critic wrote, “I was speechless.” Two new private dining rooms now give you a grand choice of five in which to be speechless yourself.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Best steak in Kansas City”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

In KC there seems to be a "world famous" steakhouse on every corner and, indeed, there are plenty of good places to dine. The Capital Grille would be my choice for the best of the best.

Not far from Country Club Plaza, the Capital Grille is a high-end steakhouse. You won't feel comfortable in shorts and sandals, but you don't need to wear a suit and tie either. It's a great place to impress clients or for a romantic night out. (The bar's a hopping joint.)

As I said, it's high-end and you pay for it, BUT you also get what you paid for and then some. Excellent menu and wine list. GREAT steaks and the level of service you would expect at a fine dining establishment.

I try to eat here every time I stay in KCMO. It's always a treat. I like to make my best clients feel special and, at the Capital Grille, they do.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank GusFring

“Expensive but worth it”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Very knowledgeable, effective and friendly waiter. Made good suggestions regarding especially the large portions of side dishes. Recommended splitting some. 4 types of bread. All fresh, warm and some complex taste. Ordered sirloin and porter house. Both prepared exactly as we asked. Huge wine list and good list of domestic and imported beer. Ordered the coconut pie and ice cream desserts. Made comment that the coconut pie was not as complex as we had had at Mesa Grill in Vegas. Actually, after some reflection, determined it was at least and possibly more complex taste as the coconut pie at Mesa Grill. Nonetheless, without us making any other comment, the waiter “comped” our desserts.

• Visited August 2011
Kansas City, Missouri
“A wonderful afternoon dining experience for our anniversary”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My husband and I decided to take the day off work and celebrate our anniversary with a quiet lunch at The Capital Grille. We have never eaten here before. Our table was waiting for our 1:30 reservation, with sprinkles of red hearts decorating the white table cloth. The staff all wished us a happy anniversary, and the waitress, Patsy, brought two glasses of champange to our table. We ordered the Lobster Bisque and I had the shrimp stuffed with lobster and crab meat, and my husband order a seafood dish. Everything was wonderful and we had a great experience. The waitress then gave us a choice of desserts to split - once again, exceding our expectations. When we were finished Patsy presented us with a picture (taken earlier in the afternoon) in a nice card. What a great experience! Lunch ran us about $80 (which included 2 glasses of wine) plus tip.

It was an afternoon to remember. Relaxing and just what we wanted for a quiet anniversary celebration.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank alwaysvoinon2010
topeka, ks
“Impressed me in every way!”
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My wife and I are from Topeka, KS and went here for our first time for Valentines day 2011. It was obviously busy, but with our reservations, it didn't take long to get seated. The restaurant was nice and dim for a romantic setting. Service was pretty prompt and everyone that helped us was very, very nice. We had two waiters (must have been a shift change), Paul and then Oscar who were both great. My wife ordered the fillet mignon, and I ordered the surf and turf special that had a fillet mignon and lobster tail. Both meals were absolutely great, and as others have stated, probably the best steak I've eve had. Here's the biggest thing that impressed me about our visit: Paul entered the wrong special into the computer, so I was first brought the wrong food, so I had to send it back. It only took about ten minutes to get the correct meal out to me, which was kind of noticeable in one piece of my steak that was seared becaue it was rushed and not quite as good as my first piece for some reason. But because that first piece was so amazing, I still gave the food 5 out of 5 :). Ok, ok, on to the impressive part... When Oscar brought our bill (after our delicious chocolate hazelnut cake), he said they had discounted my meal and gave us the dessert free. I thought that seemed logical, to give me a little discount, but wasn't necessary since we weren't upset about it at all. However, when I looked at the bill, they discounted my ENTIRE $50 meal and dessert! I told Oscar that this was not necessary because the meal was so amazing, but he said, "it's just how we do it." That is how a business gets such a great reputation and brings customers back time after time, great service and very much so putting the customer first. It's the morning after, and I'm still blown away by the whole experience. If you go (which you'd better), you should see if Oscar Espinoza is working; he will take great care of you and make sure you have a more than perfect time! All in all, it was a great Valentines day meal. Thanks to all there at the Capital Grille!

• Visited February 2011
Kearney, Missouri
“Holy Crap”
Reviewed January 31, 2011

We went here for the first time for our 9th wedding anniversary after many of my husband's co-workers recommended the place. I'm glad we took their advice! It was very pleasant, we made a reservation and they decorated our table with heart confetti and a rose for our anniversary...too cute! The service was super friendly and very informative on any questions we had about the menu. Everything is A La Carte I believe, so if you want a side with your main course it costs extra. Their Lobster Mac n' Cheese is where it's at! Their spicy calamari is also to die for...my husband and I had wet aged steaks...man oh man...just freaking awesome. I was also worried we would be a little under dressed, I was in jeans (a nice dark blue pair with a dressy top) and so was my husband, but we saw others in jeans and no one seemed to care so that's another plus for me (I'm just not the dressy-uppy kinda gal)...then to top it off they gave us a dessert on the house for our anniversary. Flourless chocolate espresso cake!! WoW!!!! Probably won't be able to come here as often as I'd like, but on those special occasions it's definately worth it!! I can assure you we will be back every year for our anniversary.

• Visited January 2011